Jeremy (C) Hunt picks the wrong battle

Sponsored Links
Keep up Kank, read the posts; we've gone from the Telegraph to the Guardian, though a few video clips, and out the other side.

Not sure if he is. I was over there a couple of weeks ago, and it was frightening. The food portions are enormous, and what doesn't get eaten, gets taken home. We were sharing meals between two, and it was still too much.

But that is a straw man argument - the rising cost of US healthcare is cost push not demand pull, where there is over billing, over medication.

You go to a GP in the UK with a headache and they will probably spend a few minutes discussing with you what it can be and then prescribe something. In the US, you will have an MRI and loads of unnecessary blood tests. It's all about covering your own ass. It has created a miserable environment which will require the Government to resolve.

In that respect, I agree with you completely. We do it a little of that over here with top price drugs rather than spermarket stuff, but I suspect there'd be a lot more tests etc done if the NHS weren't stretched to the limit. But whilst it may be a cost push system there, if the obesity problem gets any worse, then just as we are now speding 9% of you drugs budget on insulin etc, then they'll have similar issues at some stage; just not in the same ratios.

But I will say that over here, the GPs tend to do basic blood tests, and if everything comes back okay, they tell you you're fine, and stop looking, so I don't think either system works great.

Sponsored Links
Corbyn should have been less of a twisting politician.

you mean, when he said he walked all the way to the front of the train looking for two seats together so he could sit with his wife? Was that a lie, then?

If they'd offered him an upgrade to 1st class, then yes it was.
Do you reckon that is standard practice for Virgin staff to offer that kind of service to the average customer?
If not, then his point was valid and fairly made.

Last edited:
Jesus John, it was all over the papers a few days after he did it.
As you say, the right-wing press made a huge splash about it, as part of their pre-election anti-Corbyn campaign. They took care not to deny that Britain's railways are a shambles or that trains are crowded, just to try to paint Corbyn in a bad light.

If the cons had been paying for that much advertising and publicity, what would it have cost them?

And now we discover it was a fake news story based on careful selection of stills from the vid.

No wonder they tried so hard to keep the full film hidden.

So basically, people are annoyed that there were no seats? Happens all the time, some people just get on with it, no seat, no worries!
Jahanabad+Bihar.jpg

The standards of train service in Surrey are clearly not good enough.

UK transport policy, and subsidy levels, are set by the UK government.

It is the business of a political leader to draw attention to poor standards, as seen in Surrey. What's good enough for Hate is not good enough for a modern European country.

In that respect, I agree with you completely. We do it a little of that over here with top price drugs rather than spermarket stuff, but I suspect there'd be a lot more tests etc done if the NHS weren't stretched to the limit. But whilst it may be a cost push system there, if the obesity problem gets any worse, then just as we are now speding 9% of you drugs budget on insulin etc, then they'll have similar issues at some stage; just not in the same ratios.

But I will say that over here, the GPs tend to do basic blood tests, and if everything comes back okay, they tell you you're fine, and stop looking, so I don't think either system works great.

Obesity is an issue and the best bang for buck for health outcomes are public health campaigns. We have brought down teenage pregnancies and obesity, alcoholism etc need to be challenged.

No system is perfect but for health outcomes, cost, access for the average person the US system and NHS are light years apart with the NHS way better.

Moving towards a US style system will only benefit the owners of the private health companies, Insurers etc and not the patients.

So basically, people are annoyed that there were no seats? Happens all the time, some people just get on with it, no seat, no worries!
Jahanabad+Bihar.jpg

So you want a third world train system well you will need third world people to run it. Which means Immigration - and we can't be having that.

Sponsored Links
Back