Job or work experience for newly qualified female plumber???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Not sure if I'm allowed to post this request here but I'll give it a go! :confused:

Wondering if there are any plumbers out there willing to take me on? I have C&G 6129, unvented, water regs, part p, and can tile and plaster.

It seems its very difficult to get a job in trades without experience but no way of gaining experience.:eek:

I'm in Chester but am willing to relocate for the right company!

if it helps i'm 24 and quite attractive!!! ;) Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Presumably you have done a short course and not a proper apprenticeship?

That is not a good introduction to the industry as only an apprenticeship is seen as an effective way to learn the practical aspects.

There are about 100 people with certificates from short courses to each employment opportunity. Furthermore the wage offered to someone without experience would be about the same training wage paid to a new apprentice.

Most end up getting training on an unpaid basis. Why should someone in a small place like Chester train you only to enable you to undercut their charges? There are more plumbers than there is work to be done!

Being female should not make any difference at all but it worries me that because you consider yourself attractive you may also think that you should not do anything unladylike like unblocking toilets or outside drains! You might ladder your stockings!

Tony

:LOL: just because I consider myself attractive doesnt mean I cant get my hands dirty! I'm not a barbie girl!!!

I was under the impression that there was more work than plumbers, well thats the spin the government would have us believe. :confused:

Being female has advantages in customer relations with eldery people and women at home alone (housewives etc) and gives an edge over a company that doesnt offer a female on request in my humble opinion anyway!

I realise now that I should have realised a lot sooner that I wanted to go into plumbing, but instead went to university to study molecular biology...and missed the apprenticeship boat. :cry:

My course was the same as you would get in a local college over 2 years - also a route that doesnt provide guaranteed work experience.

Sponsored Links
At least you did the right thing to get a degree first.

Because plumbing is primarily a practical application of manual skills it can only be learnt over a period of time which is incompatible with short courses.

You seem to have believed all the hype given to you by the course provider who was hungry for your money!

You also seem to be unaware that there is no real shortage of plumbers. In any case the influx of 150,000 Polish plumbers willing to work for £50 a day has seen to that!

I expect you may have to get unpaid training experience and probably move away from Chester as well.

Maybe molecular biology is not so bad after all. Those chickens with no feathers save all the plucking ( did I spell that right? ).

Tony

Hi,

I wonder if RF will ask for a pic ?? :LOL: :LOL:

The best of luck to you Plumbunny, hopefully you won't be messed around by companies taking you on for the 'novelty' factor of having a female employee, as I have seen before. Stick with it and I'm sure you'll do fine. ;)
Ed.

Hi plumbunny,My advice to you,if you can,find a good local plumber and offer your services for no pay.College is ok but you need to do the work in the real world.If he is a good person the plumber will take you under his/her wings.At first do some simple jobs to boost your confidence then try some more demanding tasks.That is the only way to learn.You have the theory but just need the experience.I wish you all the best in your career and please don't lose heart.

If you are happy to move to London there is an all female plumbing firm who might just take you on in some way. Somewhere in Finchley I think.

There are not may females who stay doing real plumbing for more than a year or two. Most go into teaching or something like that!

I still think molecular biology would be a better career!

Tony

EddieCurrent said:
Hi,

I wonder if RF will ask for a pic ?? :LOL: :LOL:

The best of luck to you Plumbunny, hopefully you won't be messed around by companies taking you on for the 'novelty' factor of having a female employee, as I have seen before. Stick with it and I'm sure you'll do fine. ;)
Ed.

I think RF will have to take a photo, just to make sure she's got the right tools for the job. ps and post it on here :LOL:

What/who is RF?

Thanks everyone for the support and advice. Molecular Biology wasn't really my thing, difficult to get a job in as well not to mention badly paid. :rolleyes:

Come on plumbers.....there must be someone out there who would like to boss a female around (for a change!). I'll work for free!!!

RF = RFLighting, he's an electrician who hangs out in electrics UK which has a photograph for every occasion!!

ahhh! see what you mean.

I'm sure he'll ask for one if he sees this post! Havent got one of me in my overalls tho :cry:

Keep trying and stay positive-my partner went to college and done her nvq 2 in plumbing and she now works with me a lot of the time and you're absolutley right when you say about the elderly and other female customers,its great for putting them at ease and we are also remembered because there aren't that many female plumbers in my area,well none that I know of. She learnt a lot from being out on site as well and left some of the younger lad students behind,there's no substitute for on site experience. Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Back