Jury Service

I wrote and said (truthfully) I would, on the dates, be within 4 weeks of my finals. No problem, never asked again in the following 40 years!
Well done . I always say if you don’t ask you don’t get. My niece did jury service a few years back and she found it interesting. I think it lasted two weeks. Everybody is different though,

Sponsored Links
My niece did jury service a few years back and she found it interesting. I think it lasted two weeks. Everybody is different though,
I found it interesting, but there is a heck of a lot of sitting about and faffing about, even once the trial has started. I had a good book to hand, thankfully.

Sponsored Links
I think they if you have a criminal record then you are off the list of jury duty. Just saying...

And what if its true?

Andy
Like me, you are the main earner in the household. Makes no odds and the reimbursement is crap too. When we arrived at court for the first day, all the potential jurors queued up to submit their claim forms - except one. The claims lady announced to the whole room that there was one person that hadn't claimed - I raised my hand and said" it's me". She asked why and I told her I wasn't going to bother. Wasn't worth the effort. She berated me and told me in no uncertain terms to fill out the form there and then and that she'd get me a form, pronto. I had to do it on my lap with phone in hand, pen in the other.

I received £324.12. That included lost earnings, parking, food and any other allowances that were claimable. A max limit is set on claiming lost earnings. I received the payment about 12 days after I finished jury service. I was indisposed for four days in total. Parking cost me £4.40 per day, which I had to produce just the one ticket. They would only fork out for the long stay car park, and not any old car park of your choice.

There was a coffee machine and a microwave in the juror room. I took my own sandwiches, a book, my bank card and my phone. We had lockers too. You can't take stuff into the courtroom.

Read the juror guide carefully, I say. (y)

Give the defendant a thumbs up and say "Hello mate", you'll soon be excused.
I popped to Maccies the one day and in walked the defendant. He lasered me straight in the eye as he was waiting in the queue. He gave me a nod and a smile as I left, too.

I recall a local case when a good number of jurors knew the defendant maybe 8 , it took a while to get a jury together, he was /is a well known "character"

There was a coffee machine and a microwave in the juror room. I took my own sandwiches, a book, my bank card and my phone. We had lockers too. You can't take stuff into the courtroom.

Read the juror guide carefully, I say. (y)

Does that mean you can't take your phone into the courtroom even if its switched off and in your pocket?

In this video, the guy said in the comments that there are only so many lockers. So it seems only some people can get a locker.

I wouldn't take it for granted, not doubting the OP's integrity merely that the doc will likely need to be convinced medically rather than just writing a letter, for which they will likely charge for.

If the doc knows you it will be no problem....obv one has to pay for a letter though

My missus has been picked for jury service 4 times and I've sussed out that our electoral register listing all adults in our household is in alphabetical order. As she is on the top of our list, she gets picked regularly. No other adults here have been called.

Sponsored Links
Back