Kia - Thoughts Second Hand?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Heard lots of good things about Kia, mainly their reliable engines.

Is this your experience?

Thinking about a smallish (Rio or Ceed) sized car.

Thinking about a "cheap tax" car, IE £30.

The lad prefers a Diesel. The 1.1 Diesel looks intriguing.

Sponsored Links
I rate Kia / Hyundai up with the best - though of course a good service history is still important.
The original 7 year warranty brought many buyers along, but of course consumable items (brakes etc) aren't covered. It does suggest that the manufacturer has faith in their product!
The engines - chain driven cams- should be rustle quiet and without oil leaks and gear selection should be positive.
Corrosion isn't a particular issue but do check to the front of the rear wheel arches.
All service parts are readily available from motor factors.
John :)

I had a 2008 1.6 Ceed Diesel from 2 Years old and kept for 7 years. From 20K to 130K
Only warranty work was a wheel bearing at about 60K/5 years. Nothing else other than consumables.
I did my own brakes when under warranty.

Was so confident in it that I sold to a colleague.
He had very few problems in the next 4 Years. At 230K it needed it's first clutch and was getting oil in the coolant.
Was 50/50 if spending money was worth it. He decided to move on.

Not the most exciting car. More recent models are nicer.
Comfortable enough and drove quite well.
Was well impressed and would recommend Kia.

Don't know why, but the only work I've done on kia's generally apart from normal service work is track rod ends.

I rate them quite well overall. All the people I know who have 1 would have another

Sponsored Links
The Kia Sorento is about the best old car I have bought, it has some odd points, but mainly down to the 4 wheel drive system, but towed to ISO's full of water, so over 2 ton, and did not need to select low range.

But my daughter also uses Kia and has had problems with diesel waxing, and had the same with earlier Kia I had, so may want to add some anti-wax additive in the winter.

Surely the days of diesel are on their way out.

When my now-22-year-old French diesel reaches the end of her economic life, I'll be on the lookout for a similar vintage and fuel type regardless of current thinking.

1998-2004 was a remarkable era for solid and reliable diesel engines

For better or worse, if I was buying a new vehicle today I think I’d still go diesel.
I understand your points and its not yet recognised fully.

But no way would I buy diesel from new unless I was doing high mileage. they just are not suitable for plodding around towns any more. DPF and other expensive items too easily affected by such use.

Very true comments here!
I have a large parking area so my vehicles are never shunted around......once started it's a run of a minimum of 15 miles or more. They don't do a particularly high mileage, just no short runs.
Touching wood and everything else, no DPF or EGR issues to date!
Either way - whether is electric, hybrid, petrol or diesel, motoring is going to cost everyone a bomb at the end of the day.

Curious how that is all ignored!
John

I haven't seen the figures you mention on diesel particulates. I expect you know there are people who boast of removing the filter.

The source that can easily be avoided is addressed first.

Some cars don't have a clutch.

I'm puzzled about the Kia comments because of the contrast with those made by Scotty Kilmer on YouTube. For those not familiar, he is YT's most successful independent producer with (IIRC ) 7 million followers for his frequent car programmes.. He hates Kias ( and Hyundais ) and thinks they are absolute junk: there have been some major problems and recalls due to engine problems (see link below ) during the last decade . Kia has a manufacturing plant in the USA, so it is possible that cars from there are not as well built as those built in Europe, although I would have expected Kia HQ to have established and implemented identical engineering standards.

the same cannot be said for tyres and brake / clutch emissions.
We went to the theatre yesterday and there was stop start queueing on the rather steep ramp to the multi-story car park. Someone a few cars ahead was burning their clutch so badly, my grandson started coughing. I had to put the vents on recirculating as it was getting worse.

I use my older 1960s car regularly and was mindful of pollutants. Originally the car vented crankcase fumes and any overspill oil directly onto the road. There was a simple plate on the side of the engine with a pipe pointing directly to the road. A bit crude I though, so I sourced the rocker cover from a later engine which had a vent pipe, and attached a hose to pull the gases directly into the carb for re-circulation. Made combustion more efficient and resulted in a slightly cleaner car for the environment.

I hear that the amount of metal particles in the air at London underground stations may give cause for alarm.......metal tyres on the rails and metallic particles from the brake pads etc.
I've never been on the tube.

Sponsored Links
Back