Kia - Thoughts Second Hand?

There are plenty of forced-induction engines still going strong at 20 years old though. As for "small capacity", again, what do you mean? Is 2 litres "small capacity"? 1500cc? 1250? Where do you draw the line?
How about below one litre, such as the Ford 3 cyl range?
For my part anything below 2litres is 'small'

Sponsored Links
Well, make your mind up! Below 2 litres or below 1 litre?!
Below 1 litre quoted was with reference to the 'stressed' high revving forced induction engines.
I favour the quote by our friends over the pond 'there ain't no substitute for cubes' :cool:

Sponsored Links
I love a big, lazy, torquey engine as much as the next guy, but, for my sins, I have to deal with taxi licensing authorities quite a lot. Many of them used to have licensing conditions stipulating that taxis had to have an engine capacity of at least 2 litres (for all the reasons you cite above). How times have changed, eh?! There was certainly a time when people used to think that 2 litres was what you needed and that these new-fangled 1.8 and 1.6 turbo diesels just wouldn't last! Current popular thinking, is that a 1-litre (or less) forced induction engine won't last either. I was deeply sceptical driving a Peugeot 5008, a big MPV, with a 1500 turbo diesel in it. And sure, it won't set any lap records at Brands Hatch, but I was actually pleasantly surprised by it. I'm pretty certain that manufacturers will overcome any teething problems with small capacity engines, and they will become the norm.

And sure, it won't set any lap records at Brands Hatch, but I was actually pleasantly surprised by it. I'm pretty certain that manufacturers will overcome any teething problems with small capacity engines, and they will become the norm.

That depends what you mean by teething problems. If the engine is totally knackered at 70 000 miles, is that a teething problem ? I am certain that I have read Burnerman say on here that bearing housings (?) are made from plastic ( forget which engines). Is that correct , John ? If that is the case, then the engine has been designed in the full knowledge that it will die at a relatively low mileage.

If, however, all manufacturers take that route, it will become the norm as there will be no choice, however I have to say I would never for one second consider buying a Mondeo powered by a 1.0 l EcoBoost engine ( 2015-2017 ). It would seem beyond all stupidity to have such a small engine hauling around such a large car and expect a good life from it.

Certainly, I have seen plastic bearing parts in transmissions and also in timing belt tensioners which has to tell me that longevity wasn’t part of the design!
I don’t have any experience with the Ford Ecoboost apart from they go like hell.....maybe good enough for a Fiesta but for cars of Focus and Mondeo size I wouldn’t be happy.
Having said that, I’ve had 1200cc motorbikes with 180 BHP and they had a three year warranty, unlimited miles - but of course they had a lot less weight to lug around.
John

. I'm pretty certain that manufacturers will overcome any teething problems with small capacity engines,
They won't.

Manufacturers will continue to sell whatever they currently have until they can't sell them any more.

The era of improvement, innovation and anything else related to internal combustion engines is already over. It ended years ago around the time that manufacturers started to install cheat software in their products as that was the only way to meet emissions standards.

Goodness! What a bunch of old Luddites! I can remember the "good old days" when a car that had "gone round the clock" was something special and 12,000 miles was a pretty standard warranty. Now they have an extra digit on the odometer, because 100k is nothing, and warranties cover vastly greater mileages!

They won't.

Manufacturers will continue to sell whatever they currently have until they can't sell them any more.

The era of improvement, innovation and anything else related to internal combustion engines is already over. It ended years ago around the time that manufacturers started to install cheat software in their products as that was the only way to meet emissions standards.
Sorry, but that's not true. The cheating software was never about meeting emissions targets. It was about reducing AdBlue consumption in an attempt to prop-up sales of diesel cars, in which they'd made a huge investment. Not all manufacturers had "cheating" software, yet they all passed the tests, so it was always possible. Indeed, it's possible today too.

That depends what you mean by teething problems. If the engine is totally knackered at 70 000 miles, is that a teething problem ? I am certain that I have read Burnerman say on here that bearing housings (?) are made from plastic ( forget which engines). Is that correct , John ? If that is the case, then the engine has been designed in the full knowledge that it will die at a relatively low mileage.

If, however, all manufacturers take that route, it will become the norm as there will be no choice, however I have to say I would never for one second consider buying a Mondeo powered by a 1.0 l EcoBoost engine ( 2015-2017 ). It would seem beyond all stupidity to have such a small engine hauling around such a large car and expect a good life from it.
20 years ago, were you one of the ones saying that, when 2 litre diesels were being replaced by 1.6 litre diesels?

There's a reason they are known as ecoboom engines.
Vauxhalls were weakotec of course

Sponsored Links
Back