Knife attack in Nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's actually quite funny. I always admired Dave Allen, took the P out of the Irish and Catholics in particular although he was one himself. Despite seemingly being anti religion, he always ended his later shows with the phrase 'may your God go with you', I liked that, it crossed bridges, it shut down a lot of discrimination, everyone can have a God.

Get this: after a doing a comedy sketch about the Pope, Dave was banned from performing in Ireland and received death threats from the IRA.

**** me.
V good point Dave Allen was brilliant so many memorable 'rants' like the one with the speaking car :D at times like this it's exactly what we need ,to be taught to laugh at ourselves now n again.

Sponsored Links
But the teacher who got beheaded wasn't in the press. He was teaching about freedom of speech - as is the way in France - and about what happened at the Charlie offices. He invited those who may be offended to leave the class if they wished. He lost his life anyway for just talking about it.

This isn't about freedom of speech, press responsibility. This is about nutters killing.
If you come across a mad dog and you poke it with a sharp stick and it bites you , who is to blame?
These cartoons taking the **** out of Muslims don't advance the cause of free speech , they only inflame the mad dogs of Islam.
The majority of Muslims are moderate and law abiding but there is an extreme fundamentalist element in the population who will react irrationally and aggressively to these sort of provocations.
The French allowed these people into their country and now they are paying the price.

Sponsored Links
Some posters on here are intentionally inflaming the rhetoric from both sides.
I agree with Macron's position on the issue of cartoons:
"Macron 'can understand' Muslims' Muhammad cartoons shock"
French President Emmanuel Macron has said he can understand why Muslims were shocked by controversial cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad.

But, in an interview with broadcaster Al Jazeera, he said he could never accept the issue justified violence.
The French president said he believed strong reactions had come from Muslim nations because people had mistakenly thought that he supported the cartoons, or even that they had been created by the French state.

"I understand the sentiments being expressed and I respect them. But you must understand my role right now, it's to do two things: to promote calm and also to protect these rights," he said, referring to the freedom of expression of those who created the cartoons.

"Today in the world there are people who distort Islam and in the name of this religion that they claim to defend, they kill, they slaughter… today there is violence practised by some extremist movements and individuals in the name of Islam."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54764000

Macron clearly expressed that while he did not support the publishing or displaying of these cartoons, he, as the president, has a duty to uphold the French constitution. He also has the duty (and moral approach) to denounce violence, and seek to protect the citizens of France. He continued by explaining that he understood that the violent actions were by Islamic extremists, who have distorted Islam.

Also, the fomer Malaysian PM's comments have been selectively quoted. Let's put his comment in context by quoting more of his comment:
Muslims have a right to 'kill millions of French people' over past actions, former Malaysian PM suggests

“Macron is not showing that he is civilised. He is very primitive in blaming the religion of Islam and Muslims for the killing of the insulting school teacher,” Mr Mahathir said.
“It is not in keeping with the teachings of Islam.”
He added: “But irrespective of the religion professed, angry people kill. The French in the course of their history has killed millions of people. Many were Muslims.
“Muslims have a right to be angry and to kill millions of French people for the massacres of the past.
“But by and large the Muslims have not applied the ‘eye for an eye’ law. Muslims don’t. The French shouldn’t. Instead the French should teach their people to respect other people’s feelings.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...24838.html?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=Feed

The former PM was mistaken in believing Macron was blaming Islam for the violence. He implicitly stated that the violence was the actions of extremists, not normal Muslims. Maybe his full comments might have made that obvious, but as we only have selected quotes, we can't be sure, note the article headline inflaming the issue!
The former PM clearly explained that though he believed that while Malaysians had a right to murder French people, due to the atrocities by the French, in times past, he believed that Muslims, by and large, do not, and should not behave in such a manner.
So his comments about Malaysians having a right was linked to French atrocities in the past, his current message was that Muslims are and should be moderate and respectable.

While I understand the need of some to try to exacerbate the situation, let's follow the example of both men, to uphold the rule of law, and to show respect to our fellow men, and stop trying to inflame tensions.

The former PM clearly explained that though he believed that Malaysians had a right to murder French people, due to the atrocities by the French, in times past, he believed that Muslims, by and large, do not, and should not behave in such a manner.

Not according to his words that you have quoted, he doesn't.

his current message was that Muslims are and should be moderate and respectable.

Not according to his words that you have quoted, he doesn't.

Muslims have a right to be angry and to kill millions of French people for the massacres of the past.

"Muslims". In the absence of selecting a subset (the offended, the extremists, as examples), this term means "any and all".

"... have...". Present tense. "Have the right to kill millions now, for past wrongs".

“But by and large the Muslims have not applied the ‘eye for an eye’ law. Muslims don’t. The French shouldn't. "

".... have not applied the 'eye for an eye' law. "

In his opinion , it's a "law ".
Also, no "should not " or" must not" ; just "have not".
Similarly, "Muslims don't." [apply the eye for an eye "law"], but "The French shouldn't."

The Malaysian former PM's words are giving approval for religiously-justified murder.

And you guys are just discussing it... not even trying to fight for God or Allah or Humanism or Atheism or other...
Other than violance,what other way of "fighting for your beliefs" is there other than debate..I will stand on my soapbox forever and tell everyone,religion,in all forms,is the biggest evil in our society.

uphold the rule of law, and to show respect to our fellow men,
As said repeatedly,respect is fine..But some will metaphorically stand the ladder on the toilet cistern to stand on there tip toes to peer into next door and find offence ..You cannot debate against that stupidity.or allow it...The same stupid that drives Jehovahs to refuse blood and Christmas,the same insanity that believes Aids is awful but using condoms is worse...You Cannot ever just walk away and say nothing.

So you have no interest in debating.
Just shouting from your soapbox.
That you are right.
You find offence straight away,probably because you wish too.to stand on an orangebox is to debate..as in Hyde park corner...It is nothing to do with proclaiming they are right..But surely in a debate everyone thinks they are right..Otherwise it is stupid arguing a point you know is wrong.

The French allowed these people into their country and now they are paying the price

You could say: "that's what you get when you invade a country like Algeria, colonise and plunder its resources".

France has a history in regard to Algerians:

October 17, 1961: over 600 Algerians were chucked into the river Seine by the Paris police and left to drown

I'm not in any way condoning what the terrorists have done, But history explains a lot. I would guess it is why France has an interest in these strange cartoons.

You claim religion is evil.
If it was truly evil they would not give a penny to help others. Surely?
They do it for selfish reasons..To increase the flock and spread there faith...That is an argument religions always use..Same as morals...You do not need religion to have morals,purpose in life,happiness or generosity,in any form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back