Landlords Gas Disconnection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A Landlord has disconnected a tenants gas supply to one of its properties with the agreement of their tenant who continually complained of suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning and on two occasions called an ambulance.

On the last occasion the tenant was found to be heating his property using his gas cooker. In fact the tenant has had 23 separate visits (over 6 months) in relation to imagined problems with his and his neighbours 'noisy' boiler.

The tenant has mental health issues BUT the landlord has no proof of this. The tenant now wants his gas supply back on but the landlord feels its safer for him and his neighbours not to re-instate his supply based on their own risk assessment of the situation.

The tenant has been offered an alternative source of heating but has refused this.
Would anyone care to comment on the landlords legal position?

Sponsored Links
The landlord has taken legal advice but I'm not sure I agree with that advice. I want an opinion that balances industry expertise and working experience of the gas regs and any other laws that might come into play.

As far as i am aware he only has to provide a means of hot water/heating .
he will also have to provide an electric cooker or reimburse the tenant if he bought the gas one.

23 Visits in 6 months thats nothing try the nutter we had, 97 in a year 2 where genuine rest where due to her being barking mad

Sponsored Links
The landlord has taken legal advice but I'm not sure I agree with that advice. I want an opinion that balances industry expertise and working experience of the gas regs and any other laws that might come into play.

Are you a solicitor , or lawyer?? If the landlord has taken legal advice, then tell him to go with that.
At the end of the day, you wouldn't ask a plumber in to sort out an electrical problem, so if your landlord mate has had legal advice,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I went to one of these people last evening.

She lives in a very cluttered flat and imagined the gas was leaking and unsafe. There was no gas leak!

The cooker was poorly maintained and giving an orange flame but the real problem was that she never opened the kitchen window and had blocked the small vent "because of rats"!

I explained that in my view the use of the cooker like that was dangerous but there was nothing I could do about it because it was only dangerous because she would not open a window while it was being used.

It was a Council rented property but she said they never did anything. She was clearly not in good mental state but not barking mad as such. She locked the mortice lock when I entered and for a fer minutes when we went outside. There was no ventilation and it all smelt very damp and smelly.

I explained that it was up to her to ensure she always opened the window when using the cooker.

One good thing about my visit was that the heating pressure was down to zero and at least I was able to deal with that and explain how she could check it and deal with it.

In the case in this thread if it was my tenant I would contact Social Services and ask them to help the tenant as you feel they are placing themselves at risk.

Tony

A gas supply to a mentally unstable tenant sounds risky, if they put the gas on say the hob and dont light it :cry: but as others say, if he taken legal advice then go with that, thats what he paid for.

One old lady who could not be trusted to use gas safely had a key valve fitted to the gas line so only the home helps could turn on the gas.

Tony

I work in social housing, looking after gas, though I'm not a legal bod. If it were my problem, I would:

Ensure I had all work records related to this job. Most importantly where the tenant himself is posing a danger to himself and others with his use of gas. The best example you've listed is the use of the flueless cooker as spaceheating. Hopefully, you have more examples of dangerous use or even some examples no access for gas servicing. If you have records of other erratic behaviour not related to gas, that too may help.

I would then advise the tenant that based upon past gas usage behaviour, the landlord feels that there is a high risk to his continued use of gas; therefore, you will 'upgrade' his heating to electric (as well as assistance with getting on a low cost electric tariff) and provide him FOC with electric cooker. Ensure it's in writing and preferrably with a home visit to make certain the tenant fully understands the offer.

No way I'd turn it back on; however, that's not to say that my governors wouldn't agree to once they were threatened with the papers and the local MP. :rolleyes:

One worries, sometimes, visiting unknown clients on ones own...wonder if it's a good idea to make sure there is someone else who knows where you are going..

he can put in an eletric boiler
an eletric cooker and fire
and cap the gas at the ecv
problem solved

Agile would you like me to put put when you passed it and when the previous ran out . dONT MIND putting dates if you have forgot them ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back