Lethal injection, if you find a vein that is!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
News today that a murderer on death row avoided termination because they could not find a vein in which to administer the lethal cocktail of drugs.

The prisoner even tried to help. The farcical scenes finished up with the prisoner breaking down in tears with his head in his hands.

He gets no pity from me.

He raped and murdered a young girl.

Sponsored Links
That Swiss place Dignitas simply give a powerful barbiturate via mouth - job done.

Sponsored Links
John,

This is one of them

http://www.ccadp.org/benniedemps.htm

Scroll down to the second section, titled "From The News".
He did not avoid the death penalty, just took a bit longer and may have hurt him a little.

" Demps, who was serving a life sentence for a 1971 double shooting murder when he was sentenced to die in 1978 for stabbing to death Alfred Sturgis, a fellow inmate. "

dave ;)

I've never understood lethal injection.. just a local anaesthetic to the neck then a large bore needle into the carotid artery and let the convict bleed to death.. they just drift off to sleep...
no need to waste perfectly good drugs on them..

Heard on the radio last Sunday that in Bournemouth the council have installed blue lights in their public conveniences. This makes it very difficult for anyone visiting the bog with the express purpose of shooting-up as their veins are indiscernible.

The protocol, Thomas said, gives the department "professional discretion" to use a "minor surgical procedure" to locate veins.

The procedure, known as a "cutdown," involves cutting the skin and pulling out a vein when one can't be located with a needle.

Critics charge that because medical ethics prevent a doctor or nurse from participating in executions, the public should be allowed to see the procedure to determine if pain is involved. The department only opens the curtains to the death chamber after the inmate has been hooked up to the needles and tubing that deliver the chemicals.

very humane :rolleyes:

The protocol, Thomas said, gives the department "professional discretion" to use a "minor surgical procedure" to locate veins.

The procedure, known as a "cutdown," involves cutting the skin and pulling out a vein when one can't be located with a needle.

Critics charge that because medical ethics prevent a doctor or nurse from participating in executions, the public should be allowed to see the procedure to determine if pain is involved. The department only opens the curtains to the death chamber after the inmate has been hooked up to the needles and tubing that deliver the chemicals.

very humane :rolleyes:
and all in vain :rolleyes:

I feel sorry too for the parents and family of the criminal. Imagine bringing up a child, getting all those toys, playing with him, giving all that love, worry, etc etc etc, only to see it at come tumbling down.

Of course I feel for the family of the victim as well.

The whole thing is such a waste :confused: :(

Sponsored Links
Back