light switch - Does this sound like it's wired correctly???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was about to swap an old yellowish coloured light switch at the bottom of my stairs with a nice new white one. I haven't actually removed the old one yet but opened it up to write down how it is currently connected and it's not really wired as i expected is was going to be...

It's a 2 gang 2 way switch. One switch is just 1 way and is only controlling the living room light.

The other switch is working 2 way in conjunction with a single 2 way switch upstairs to control the landing light.

There are 2 cables inside the box, I realise the colours may not really mean a lot but this is how the downstairs one is wired:

One cable has a red going to L1 and a Black going to L2.
The other cable has Black to L1 and Red to Com. but then there is a link wire linking this Com to the other Com...

I was going to wire the new one exactly the same but really wanted to check first

In all honesty i have an electrician attending to do other work for me in 2 weeks time but it's really bugging me as to whether it is wired correctly or not.

Any advice is much appreciated as always......

Cheers

Sponsored Links
wired right. link canle supplies live to 2 way switch. common way of doing this

Not done this way these days, but yes, perfectly acceptable aslong as both lights are on the same circuit.

From the information you supply it may well in all probabillity be Ok apart from the fact that the blacks should be taped/flagged/ sleeved red.
To say it actually is OK needs an electrician with correct knowledge and experience.
But first "first approximation " sounds reasonable

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick replies everyone, at big help as always.

I think i will leave it for now and get my sparky to double check it first.

Cheers again....

My question would be: Why do you think it is wired wrong????

AlanPartridge said:
it's not really wired as i expected is was going to be...it's really bugging me as to whether it is wired correctly or not.
So the 2-way side is not wired like this diagram in the For Reference section?

2way3.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back