Light Switch inside bathroom -Electrical Safety Certificate

so have you installed one in yours the John D, most bathrooms these days are to small to even consider that. Pull cords are generally the chosen method and most certainly the safest and very often even with change of regs not feasable or a sensible option. Then again you are in Scotland and probably likes to because they generally do fit them across Europe. In the UK long has it been the pull cord for use in the bathroom (wet or damp areas) long before Zones were ever spoke about. I have witnessed scaffolding many times in Europe very unsafe to but Mr JD probably thinks thats acceptable everywhere to.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The first appearance of a regulation regarding switches in bathrooms was in 1934, which required switches to be out of reach of a person in the bath.

The option of a pull cord switch or locating the switch outside the bathroom was noted.

The only real change since then has been the addition of specific measurements, currently 600mm from the edge of the bath or shower, which is the same basic concept as being out of reach of someone in the bath.

bathroom_switches.png

Today, just as in 1934, a switch in the wall inside the bathroom is permitted providing it's more that 600mm from the edge of the bath.

If people really want to install a pull cord switch in a bathroom they can, but it's not a requirement now, and never was.

so have you installed one in yours the John D, most bathrooms these days are to small to even consider that. Pull cords are generally the chosen method and most certainly the safest and very often even with change of regs not feasable or a sensible option. Then again you are in Scottish and probably likes to because they generally do fit them across Europe. In the UK long has it been the pull cord for use in the bathroom (wet or damp areas) long before Zones were ever spoke about. I have witnessed scaffolding many times in Europe very unsafe to but Mr JD probably thinks thats acceptable everywhere to.

Are you ok?

Sponsored Links
I may be wrong, but I would personally have thought that 'normal domestic accessories' are, in fact, pretty 'splashproof', aren't they?

Kind Regards, John

Many plate switches are IP22. Some just put IP2X across the entire range of accessories though.

If you deconstruct a standard switch, there are a lot of features which prevent water providing a creepage path to the switch contacts. IMO they are pretty safe in the bathroom, the kitchen is more likely to be an issue with wet hands.

Many plate switches are IP22. Some just put IP2X across the entire range of accessories though.
Indeed. I suspect that when they are just described as IP2X, in many cases this probably only means that they have not bothered to undertake water ingress testing, since ....
If you deconstruct a standard switch, there are a lot of features which prevent water providing a creepage path to the switch contacts. IMO they are pretty safe in the bathroom, the kitchen is more likely to be an issue with wet hands.
Agreed, on both points.

Kind Regards, John

so have you installed one in yours the John D, most bathrooms these days are to small to even consider that. Pull cords are generally the chosen method and most certainly the safest and very often even with change of regs not feasable or a sensible option. Then again you are in Scottish and probably likes to because they generally do fit them across Europe. In the UK long has it been the pull cord for use in the bathroom (wet or damp areas) long before Zones were ever spoke about.
I presume you would not entertain the idea of an electric shower.

Indeed. I suspect that when they are just described as IP2X, in many cases this probably only means that they have not bothered to undertake water ingress testing, since ....
Agreed, on both points.

Kind Regards, John
seen many constructed and tested during visits and your quite right never seen any sign of moisture or water ingress testing carried out on them.

seen many constructed and tested during visits and your quite right never seen any sign of moisture or water ingress testing carried out on them.
As I implied, it would make no sense for them to expend time, effort and money on water ingress testing if the specification is going to claim no more than IP2X.

I suspect that it's probably 'backside covering' on the part of manufacturers. By making no claim of protection against water ingress, they are effectively leaving it to the designer/installer to decide (and take responsibility for the decision) whether the product is 'suitable for' the environment in which it is installed (which is all that is required - there is no regulatory requirement for IP rating of electrical accessories outside of the zones of a bathroom).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back