Like fruitcake? Head to Norfolk

Always try to pick blackberries, but only those above head height. I would love to have the bottle to try some fungi foraging, but there's always that nagging doubt that I may be about to top myself. Even with a bit of knowledge there is still a worry.
You can take a course on funghi gathering. Try your local countryside rangers. They have run a course a few times in recent years in my area - always in the autumn, too

Sponsored Links
from the article: 'fruit drops off, nobody claims it...and children pick it up and chuck it at each other."
It's shocking how many people walk past ripe fruit every autumn without even picking one for a snack, let alone the benefit of free food. A sign of the times, i suppose. Unless it's pre-packed and priced up they just don't want to know.
A lot of people walk past fruit trees in case they belong to someone and picking the fruit may make them open to prosecution for theft.

If we see blackberries or apples/pears growing along open country roads we have no compunction about stopping and picking some, (providing it safe to stop of course). If the trees are inside a fence, even if it's the only tree for half a mile or more, we don't stop as it could actually be the property of a farmer/landowner. On the border of our college is a piece of waste ground with masses of brambles growing over the boundary. The waste land is owned by the council and each year we see members of the public helping themselves to the blackberries, hence, we help ourselves to what is on our side and the kitchen chef turns them out in pies/tarts/flans etc. A welcome free dessert after your lunch.

A lot of people walk past fruit trees in case they belong to someone and picking the fruit may make them open to prosecution for theft.

If we see blackberries or apples/pears growing along open country roads we have no compunction about stopping and picking some, (providing it safe to stop of course). If the trees are inside a fence, even if it's the only tree for half a mile or more, we don't stop as it could actually be the property of a farmer/landowner. On the border of our college is a piece of waste ground with masses of brambles growing over the boundary. The waste land is owned by the council and each year we see members of the public helping themselves to the blackberries, hence, we help ourselves to what is on our side and the kitchen chef turns them out in pies/tarts/flans etc. A welcome free dessert after your lunch.
Well yeah, i walk past fruit trees in someone's front garden - not so many now people have converted them into driveways - but i meant trees growing wild. I persuaded a village elder to chat with his cronies about a patch of wasteland nearby and eventually received permission to plant a small orchard of a half-dozen apple trees. A bunch of us cleared the ground, dug it over and planted them a few years ago: now they bear fruit available to anyone who wants to pick it. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
I always wondered if I was allowed to pick the apples in the local park as they are mostly wasted. But its all good as long as it's effectively for personal consumption. I remember as kid being told off by some grumpy old bugger who objected to me picking blackberries from "his" garden. The bushes were quite clearly growing wild.

(3)A person who picks mushrooms growing wild on any land, or who picks flowers, fruit or foliage from a plant growing wild on any land, does not (although not in possession of the land) steal what he picks, unless he does it for reward or for sale or other commercial purpose.
  • For purposes of this subsection “mushroom” includes any fungus, and “plant” includes any shrub or tree.

Back