Location of fused switches for washer and tumble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently we have washer isolator fused switch above worktop for washing machine, however I want to put a tumble drier on this worktop and create a tall larder cupboard to one side - wall is at other side.

What is best practice here:

Could move fused isolator up above tumble drier (near ceiling) and run two outlets of this? Concerned about reaching isolator and rising heat.

Could I put socket in cupboard for tumble? via extending ring main that is in util room. The tumble plug does get warm :-s

Thanks in advance

M.A.

Sponsored Links
All fuses get warm that's how they work if too warm then the wire ruptures and supply is broken.

So all plugs with fuses in should be in free air to cool the plug. The FCU is not so bad as the wall cools it. With a 1A fuse we are not so worried about cooling but with a 13A fuse then we are.

So the tumble drier is likely the largest continual draw next to the immersion heater and really it should have a dedicated circuit. We don't often run a dedicated circuit but ensuring it is really a ring is clearly important.

It is just common sense keep the plug in free air.

Thank you for the reply - common sense approach prevailed.

The fused above worktop switch for washer outlet is just part of the ring circuit to the kitchen / utility room.

Decided to just extend the ring and add a second fused switch outlet for the drier, this way the plug can be behind the drier but the isolator will be on the wall, and reachable.

As I am extending the ring by utilising the current feeds to the original location of the washer fused outlet, I assume I can just put a blanking plate over rather than plaster so access to joints is still available.

For now I am going to use jnct blocks, but once I relocate my crimp tool I will do a proper job later, then plaster over.

Any comments or pointers greatly received.

Regards

M.A.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back