miele W828 washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Couple of days ago our 15-year old washer overheated the water when put on a 75 degree programme; the room filled with steam so I guess the water was literally boiling. When it had cooled down I opened the front and inspected the electrics, all looked ok, no burned components or wiring. So I assume the heater control system is shot, ie the thermosat/sensor and/or the control electronics. Could I possibly repair it or is it a new machine?

Sponsored Links
Couple of days ago our 15-year old washer overheated the water when put on a 75 degree programme; the room filled with steam so I guess the water was literally boiling. When it had cooled down I opened the front and inspected the electrics, all looked ok, no burned components or wiring. So I assume the heater control system is shot, ie the thermosat/sensor and/or the control electronics. Could I possibly repair it or is it a new machine?
It might be a relay on the control board that has fused itself in the ON position

There are photos here of the problem related to failure due to bad shocks. This blows the rotate / reverse relay and a fuse.
If you check the diagrram in the thread you can see what relay you need for the heater.
I my case I I needed this one http://uk.farnell.com/tyco-electronics-schrack/rt424012/relay-pcb-dpco-12vdc/dp/1629053
You can test the relay with a 9v battery (PP3) and a multimeter -make sure the PCB is removed from the machine and the mains power is off.

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/miele-w828.130792/page-3 has examples of fused relays / burnt out relays the schematic diagram and parts suppliers. Relays are cheap under £2 and in your case you do not need a new fuse just the relay.

I would look at the ntc at the front .
The heating element is at the bottom front of the drum. Between the two terminals is the temp sensor. Try measuring the resistance. Unplug the machine from the wall first and you can pull the sensor out of the drum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back