Mobile phones used whilst driving.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Automatic three month ban if used whilst driving whether or not an accident is caused.

Read of several deaths caused by people using phones whist driving, texting or changing music tracks.

Behind a stupid girl texting on her phone I could see her in her wing mirror, the traffic was slow but nevertheless ........

Automatic three month ban if caught a strong deterrent is needed .......its worked with crash helmets and seat belts .....why not phones ?

Sponsored Links
I drive HGV's so have a great view inside cars next to me, especially in traffic. You'd be amazed how many people are using their phones in such circumstances, I'd estimate about one in ten. FWIW it was safer when it wasn't illegal cos they could have the phone right up in front of their windscreen (and therefore have at least a chance of seeing what's happening in front), whereas now they need to hide it away down on their lap.

I'm amazed how few people in so-called luxury (german) cars have hands free. I drive a 62 plate Peugeot and if I've got it , they surely must have. Still takes my concentration off the road though

Sponsored Links
I used to yell at drivers, particularly those of premium marques, that were using a hand held mobile.

My favourite was to strike up conversation at the lights:

"Fantastic motor, mate"

[chuffed] "Cheers, yeah it's nice"

"Must have cleaned you right out, though"

"Why do you say that?"

[getting ready to drive off] "Because you couldn't afford a hands-free kit!"

On a separate note, my employer eventually banned us from using phones (even hands free) in the vans.

It was a PIA to stop every time the phone rang.

I remember civil servants saying wearing seat belts couldn't be enforced and they were saying it shouldnt be introduced .....clunk click every trip and images of people who'd gone through a windscreen did the trick, you hardly see anyone not wearing a seat belt now.

No excuse not to introduce severe penalties.

I think the new law coming in of 6 points for using a mobile is ok deterrent, after all, caught twice and that's the end of driving for a year and I guess more insurance costs after. They should also do it for other dangerous driving acts. I've seen more than one lorry driver reading newspapers on the motorway with the paper on the wheel, women doing their make up and a private taxi driver fall asleep at the wheel in London, clearly shattered, only to wake up when I beeped and carry on driving.

They should also give points for tailgating.. I cannot stand tailgating.

Back