Moped Driving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The village where I live is facing six months of road works. There are only three ways into it and they're usually gobbed up at peak times, now made worse with this traffic.

I'm an early riser but there's no option to finish earlier in this job, so by the time I'm home there's not much of an evening to cram everything in. No public transport options either!

I thought about getting a cheap moped (second hand of course) and using that to commute only. I've driven for 15 years but never so much as sat on a moped. Hoping it will allow me to filter through long queues of cars.

Anybody got any pointers/experience? I presume they're "twist and go, squeeze and stop" type controls but I'm nervous about wet roads!

Sponsored Links
Find one with the largest wheels you can. Don't put your foot out as you corner. Beware roundabouts in the wet- they are plagued with diesel spills from ****s over filling ! Use both brakes together.

Don’t ride in the gutter, get loads of practice riding slowly in a straight line without wobbling and drifting.
Be aware, some drivers don’t mind you filtering and others regard it as a personal insult!
Other bikers may filter too and be right up your ass, keep an eye out for them.
Be aware too - the slightest contact and you are likely to go down.
John

If you sign up for cbt training you can have a day out on a loaned small motorbike or scooter. At least it would give you a go before shelling out loadsa money. Costs about £160 where I live.

Sponsored Links
Great when sunny.
My vespa has hand gears on left hand, but you just need a gas and go scooter, a lot easier.
I learned to filter in the crazy traffic of Italy, so here it's a lot easier.
However, watch out for ladies pulling out of traffic for no reason whatsoever and slamming on the brakes when there's nothing if front of them.
Also, be careful of prius , especially taxis they're assholes.

Moped - pedals, a bad option, get something bit more upmarket. Although, a car driving licence used to be a full licence for mopeds, I don't know if that still applies.

I use my scooter for work and it’s great for filtering. 300cc though so you'd need a full motorcycle licence to ride that. You’ll need to do a CBT before you can ride a bike up to 125cc. If you don’t pass your test you’ll need to do it again every two years. You can’t fail it as it’s just a days training. They’ll give you some good pointers as well as follow you out on the road for a bit. Don’t waste your time on a 50cc scooter though - they’re gutless and have probably been thrashed to within an inch of their life by a 16 year old.

Get a decent flip-front helmet, strong, waterproof gloves and some waterproofs - you will need them. Oh, and a top box is very handy.

Use both brakes together.
Unless you get a model with linked brakes - mine is (Honda SH300). I only use the front brake when slowing down from speed, other than that, rear brake only. Linked brakes gives a little bit of pressure to the front when using the rear. On the front calliper there are 6 pistons. When using the rear, pressure is applied to just two of the front 6 pistons. Using the front brake brings the other 4 into use.

Not wishing to be a wet blanket but......
Speaking as a biker for 53 years - including many thousands of miles abroad - I fully understand cwh's desire to enjoy the practicality, fun and freedom of life on two wheels. However, what he is proposing is to venture into the most dangerous aspect of biking and I would hate for that to come to grief. It takes many years of experience (and luck) to predict what the average car driver will do and prepare accordingly.......mirror use in particular. Bikes can very quickly approach a vehicle in front - unbeknown to the driver who last looked in the mirror 15 miles ago!
Maybe other bikers and cyclists may care to comment.
John :)

Thanks for all the ideas all. I'm a fairly experienced driver and I'm used to driving a 60-year-old car, but being on two wheels is a whole different kettle of fish and I can't get a feel in my mind of what being on two motorised wheels might be like. I was sitting at lights last night watching bike riders carefully filter past to the front of the queue!

The route I'd be taking is mainly made up of classified roads, but there are a few "rough" lanes. It's the mini islands and 90 degree corners that scare me.

I need to have a look at the different types of bikes. My plan is to sell it when the major works are finished so I'm hoping I'd recoup most of my purchase price! Initially I had looked at a push bike, but it's a 30 mile round trip and there's one long hill I'm not fit enough for!

Yep - don’t forget your 'lifesaver' at all times. They will tell you this on the CBT. Saved me from injury a few times
I had looked at a push bike, but it's a 30 mile round trip and there's one long hill I'm not fit enough for!
Considered an electric bike?

My plan is to sell it when the major works are finished so I'm hoping I'd recoup most of my purchase price!
I bought my scoot new in 2009 for £3,500. I've been knocked off of it three times, one involving being stretchered to hospital. Luckily I sustained no major injuries and even luckier, I've received £4950 in repair money/compensation from those three 'offs', still have the scoot and all I’ve really bought has been two screens and a rear numberplate so I’d still be quids in if I gave it away tomorrow. Not that I will - it’s well battle scarred now but it is so bloody handy. You may even find yourself keeping it as a backup after your planned use for it. Those accidents finally taught me a good lesson though. Assume that all other road users are idiots!

Considered an electric bike?

Know absolutely nothing about them! I think work do a scheme to buy them. I'll have to look into that as I know I'm a lot more confident on a bike like that, and in fact half of my journey home can be along the canal.

I bought my scoot new in 2009 for £3,500. I've been knocked off of it three times, one involving being stretchered to hospital.

I think I recall this story from another post on this forum. After all you've been through together it'd be hard to part ways! Great example of an investment which has lost you no money.

Sponsored Links
Back