New boiler choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking of Intergas, where is the Messiah these days? There was a time when he was never off here - he responded before you could finish spelling the word Intergas!
Probably in some sort of government institution.

Sponsored Links
There is some excellent advice above, the best bit is get the installer right and let him look after you and the boiler. If he's good he will not be the cheapest or dearest for obvious reasons.

Installers I know and respect recommend Intergas, I've never fitted one but don't like certain aspects of the boiler but if you choose an installer who does understand the boiler I'm sure you'd be OK as with any of the major brands.

Atag is a franchise, quite new and retention of the franchise I believe is them selling enough boilers. If they don't who knows? Plus there are 184 joints in their heat exchanger and a lot of thin gaskets hence the lifetime warranty on it, to give confidence. Their marketing thrust is 'we don't publicise the cost so the customer can't price check.' e.g. charge what you like with the emphasis that it's high quality which it may well be.
The control interface on ATAGs are complex. One of the biggest gripes of installers and a big put off. Intergas an day. They are built like tanks. They come with weather compensation and OpenTherm as standard as well. If the installation in question does not have weather compensation (it will not have Opentherm for sure) this is the time to update and get a superior control system.

Not a make I have heard of ... I'll go take a look
Youtube has vids of the factory, making them. No boiler is designed like them. The whole back panel of the boiler is the heat exchanger. They can be open vented or sealed - in the combi form the only boiler that offers both. It can be used as a multi-point without filling the heating side leaving that dry. Intergas have stated that none of their heat exchangers in over 25 years have failed. They use simple controls.

More details of your heating and hot water would be beneficial.

The control interface on ATAGs are complex. One of the biggest gripes of installers and a big put off. Intergas an day. They are built like tanks. They come with weather compensation and OpenTherm as standard as well. If the installation in question does not have weather compensation (it will not have Opentherm for sure) this is the time to update and get a superior control system.
I find that all modern boilers and controls are over complicated, they are all competing with each other , and all offering different options , that lets be honest are not needed, I am a big fan of Vokera and it is my first choice of boiler simply because of the support I get, other installers will have good relationships with other manus, as advised , find an installer that will become your regular bloke to service your boiler, and make sure you have a good service, too many manus finding ways of dodging long warranties, get an installer who will take the flack and has contact with his/her rep and can get stuff sorted if their is a problem

Sponsored Links
I find that all modern boilers and controls are over complicated, they are all competing with each other , and all offering different options , that lets be honest are not needed, I am a big fan of Vokera and it is my first choice of boiler simply because of the support I get, other installers will have good relationships with other manus, as advised , find an installer that will become your regular bloke to service your boiler, and make sure you have a good service, too many manus finding ways of dodging long warranties, get an installer who will take the flack and has contact with his/her rep and can get stuff sorted if their is a problem
The latest boilers have simpler touch screen user interfaces. Navien, the world biggest combi maker, has touch screen displays on the front case. They do not have outside sensors for weather compensation using sat-nav to get the outside temperature. Even Ideal and Keston (same boiler with Keston having the twin extended flue option) have simple liquid crystal menu displays, but simple knobs for the user.

OpenTherm is easy to connect up giving excellent modulating control. I have had these EPH Combipack thermostat/timers fitted. So simple for users to understand, with Opentherm control. Just connect up and it does it all for you. The complexity with installers is understanding the control system. That is why some stay with one maker - because they understand the error codes, etc.

A nice Yorkshire accent...

I prefer the looks of Heatmisers and others myself, but customers like them and they are cheap, Opentherm, RF, doing the job nicely.

I have had a lot of issues with Explosive ignition on my boiler ... relayed here ... https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/baxi-barcelona-explosive-ignition.470102/page-6#post-3784907

After another load of parts - flue, fan, gas valve, more boards, new burner(again), burner door (again) ... and boiler still has very loud explosions on startup, and frequent lock-out. SSE have suggested changing boiler .... they offer £500 discount.
Their price is still not good .... so may get it done elsewhere.

If I did this I need a 30kW standard boiler, a Worcester 30Ri or 8000 Life seem good boilers, but are they worth 25% the price premium over a Baxi 430 or 630 ?
https://www.builderdepot.co.uk/inte...i-boiler-jig-valve-set-including-spacer-frame

https://www.builderdepot.co.uk/intergas-hre-sb-30kw-compact-system-boiler
The system only boilers are more expensive for that kW rating. So a combi as a system can work. If there is an adjacent tap the water section of combi side can be used.

This boiler is a dream compared to the old Barcelona. The Barcelona was one of the first condensers on the UK market about 20 years ago.

Last edited:
I have had a lot of issues with Explosive ignition on my boiler ... relayed here ... https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/baxi-barcelona-explosive-ignition.470102/page-6#post-3784907

After another load of parts - flue, fan, gas valve, more boards, new burner(again), burner door (again) ... and boiler still has very loud explosions on startup, and frequent lock-out. SSE have suggested changing boiler .... they offer £500 discount.
Their price is still not good .... so may get it done elsewhere.

If I did this I need a 30kW standard boiler, a Worcester 30Ri or 8000 Life seem good boilers, but are they worth 25% the price premium over a Baxi 430 or 630 ?
I see the Barcelona only heats a thermal store. I assume a direct one by the explanation:
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/baxi-barcelona-ignition-lock-out.165051/

The Intergas can be open vented or sealed so fitting the bill on that point. Need more details of how the boiler is connected to the thermal store - maybe a diagram. The pipe layout, does it have a blending valve on the return from the store. The anti-thermal siphon 2 port valve can be opened and closed via the boiler's pcb - simple. The internal Intergas pump will do.

Last edited:
I know In local S.Wales merchants they shift more Baxi than any other (Duo-Tech), as it’s British Gas standard boiler.

What would you consider in 30kW size ?
When I asked in merchants they said Baxi was best value, Worcester best quality, Valiant about mid-way.
Baxi is not the standard british gas boiler. Worcester is. Personally fit a worcester as more people carry parts for them... however vailant are a better boiler.

Baxi is not the standard british gas boiler. Worcester is. Personally fit a worcester as more people carry parts for them... however vailant are a better boiler.
The Intergas and Navien's are far superior to those three, as are Viessmann, except those with the rubber hoses inside. Ideal are not bad these days, however fit a shock arrestor on the cold inlet of the combis as they have plastic hydroblocks. Fit arrestors on all combis with plastic hydroblocks to avoid failure in years to come.

Last edited:
It's not the material, look at the max pressure rating on the spec. Some brass hydro blocks are 6 bar, some composites 10 bar. The strength is in the weakest point not the strongest. Brass wear out O rings quicker too.

Bernard, I gave the link and prices

If you mean the two Builder's Depot links then the prices are probably those that Builders Depot decide for the boilers.

The marketing of Intergas boilers does make for interesting reading.

from Builders Depot site

""3 Years parts and labour warranty as standard and this can be extended to 7 years""

how much does the extra 4 years cost.

""Only 12 components, including 4 moving parts""

How does one decide whether an item is "a component" or is not "a component"

There are at least 11 "U" bends with at least 22 soldered ( or maybe now brazed ) joints as part of the heat exchanger.
upload_2020-3-28_10-17-26.png

It's not the material, look at the max pressure rating on the spec. Some brass hydro blocks are 6 bar, some composites 10 bar. The strength is in the weakest point not the strongest. Brass wear out O rings quicker too.
Plastic hydroblocks in British boilers are problematic. Viessmann are better. Fit the shock arrestors in all combis, they are cheap.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back