News on British health and life expectancy

Sponsored Links
Income of those in the bottom 10% vs cost of 15 fags a day per year.

That shows by quintile and is based on IMD and median is 15 fags which really is not an good indicator how much they actually smoke without having the distribution or mean figure.

So you cannot make claim using that data.

Correction noted : 20%

https://www.statista.com/statistics/416102/average-annual-gross-pay-percentiles-united-kingdom/

The trend is certainly sufficient to extrapolate the question

What I don't get is how those on the lowest incomes can spend 1/3rd of their money on cigarettes

Its still correct looking at the bottom Quintile. The bottom 10% spend more proportionately 36% assuming 15 a day.

£10,500 vs 3,000 on fags

What we don't know is how the 29% is distributed.

I see that there has been no evidence put forward to support the claimed link from austerity to life expectancy. I look forward to scrutinising the data put forward to the same standard.

I maintain that many of the factors affecting life expectancy are nothing to do with wealth, but mindset.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Your link is very poor. The bar chart has been manipulated, don't know why, and is badly described.

Lets see your data then. Lets see you conclude something different. Lets see you put some data up to argue that Life Expectancy isn't primarily about healthy lifestyle choices.

I maintain that many of the factors affecting life expectancy are nothing to do with wealth, but mindset.

says a rich Tory.

I dont suppose you have the stress of knowing if you are off sick for a week you wouldnt be able to afford the rent.

motorbiking probably isn't paid weekly, like many of the underclass.

If he was, he'd be shocked to find, if relying on Universal Credit, that your eligibility is based on earnings in the previous calendar month.

Eight months of the year, you receive four weekly paydays in a calendar month.

In four months, there are five weekly paydays.

UC has been deliberately designed so that a month which contains five weekly paydays will be treated as if you have just had a 25% pay rise. This may mean that you are considered so wealthy that your UB stops. It is actually cancelled. You have to reapply after missing a month.

You have to do this four times a year.

You are on UB and living hand to mouth on the breadline. The government advises you to build up your savings to tide you over the periods when your benefit is cancelled. Or perhaps you can take out a loan, to repay out of your ample income. Or perhaps you and you family can live without food, and not pay the rent, until normal service is restored.

Conservative flagship.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-payments-payment-cycles#if-youre-paid-weekly

Yep - its really expensive for me to not smoke, not take drugs, drink and eat in moderation and take regular exercise. My work is also completely stress free, I have no deadlines, I get paid win or lose and I have no competitors. Life is peachy in the Unicorn breeding business.

how's the data gathering coming along?

Life is peachy in the Unicorn breeding business.

And yet you say you're on the breadline? How so?

I worked out your entitlement to UB, based on my estimates.

upload_2020-2-27_12-11-23.png

Try not to take the easy way out in April or July.

Some people do.

Sponsored Links
Back