NHS woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Does any one even test for covid anymore ? All seems to be forgotten about .....
My eldest lad has recently started work in Nottingham after getting a first in his subject.

He came home with COVID a few days ago.

He is soon to be 24.

He said it made him feel awful and played havoc with his taste.

He's had it before but not with such severe effects.

I would love to know the real truth but in this world of smoke and mirrors that is not always possible.
Proverbial nail on the head!

Some call it smoke & mirrors, others call it bullsh1t. Parties of all colours are 100% guilty of it. This is why there's often a call out for more cross-party collaboration on longer term strategies for the big ticket items to ensure consistency of approach.

Sponsored Links
UK cost of healthcare is lower than Germany, France, Italy

which explains why they have way more beds, nurses, doctors, consultants per capita.
The NHS has less beds available today than they did 20 years ago.
The population of the UK has grown exponentially since then.
Why are there less beds today.

In 1974 the health service maintained almost 400,000 beds; by 1979/80 the number had dropped to around 350,000. Between 1987/88 and 2019/20, the total number of NHS hospital beds fell by 53 per cent – from 299,400 to 141,000
When my old mum was rushed to hospital with a broken hip, she had to lie on a trolley all night in a corridor because there were no beds available, she got a bed next day because some other person was turfed out an sent home early.

Last edited:
Loads of operations in the past required you to be in hospital sometimes for weeks so beds were needed . Now they have you in and out the same day for some of them . Then we have many more different treatment these days that weren`t done in the past .
So bit awkward to compare beds required in the past to beds required this day and age

My sons workmate, boxer Nigel Benns brother Andy, died of it.
We are a small town and I know two personally that have died from it. Reasonably 'young' for covid deaths too.

Nor have I SEEN or known any one that has died nor been hospitalised with covid
I don't know anyone (personally) that has been stabbed to death or stabbed. It's a funny old world, innit.

Loads of operations in the past required you to be in hospital sometimes for weeks so beds were needed . Now they have you in and out the same day for some of them . Then we have many more different treatment these days that weren`t done in the past .
So bit awkward to compare beds required in the past to beds required this day and age
Very true but a lot of the elderly were kept in hospital for extended periods who are now turfed out to inappropriate (i.e lack of suitable) care in so called nursing homes and die sad deaths.

Blup

When my old mum was rushed to hospital with a broken hip, she had to lie on a trolley all night in a corridor because there were no beds available, she got a bed next day because some other person was turfed out an sent home early

Im sorry to hear that, it must be traumatic for an elderly person and a broken hip is very very serious. whatever peoples views on the NHS, the lack of capacity and massive waiting lists etc, the reality is it has a massive affect on peoples lives.

long waiting lists mean there are people really suffering, for example gall stones, hip and knee operations -conditions that untreated cause immense pain.

my wife has developed a heart condition which results in uneven and missing beats, she had a 24 hour ECG but we’ve been waiting 5 months now for the results and referral.

worrying times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back