NHS woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NHS are awash with money. If you doubled the budget they would say it's not enough.
It's not how much money they have but how it's spent, and where.
A good number of bean counters and pen pushers could be reduced to increase numbers of nurses and technical equipment.

Sponsored Links
Yes, insurance based and not free at point of delivery. Thought you were against privatisation?
No, it’s not insurance based, at not insurance in the way the American system is

those healthcare models are not privatised, they are a mix, UK is basically a mix as well

and they are mostly free at the point of delivery.

No, it’s not insurance based, at not insurance in the way the American system is

those healthcare models are not privatised, they are a mix, UK is basically a mix as well

and they are mostly free at the point of delivery.

The systems are closer to American than UK. I'm not knocking it, it works. As far as I'm aware the insurance companies are 'not for profit' and unemployed people do not pay a premium.
It's not free at the point of delivery in either France or Germany.

The systems are closer to American than UK
No, they are nothing like the American system

the American system is a premium based on your health

As far as I'm aware the insurance companies are 'not for profit’
a mixture of govt, not for profit, for profit

It's not free at the point of delivery in either France or Germany

It’s free in the UK, but you can’t access it, waiting lists are too long.

people that can afford it are going private

the “free at the point of service” isn’t true, because there’s no service

Sponsored Links
What does one do if old / vulnerable and tested positive? Apart from 'staying home'
Isolate or if unavoidable wear a mask. There has been a recent spike which will worsen as winter comes.

Blup

The systems are closer to American than UK.
The premium you pa in USA is based on your health, and lifestyle. THAt often means poorer people paying a higher premiums, which inevitably leqads to reduced cover, for the poorer people.
The German and French model;s are based on your salary, as far as the part collected by the government, which covers about 70% of the cost.
The remaining 30% is covered by private inurance, which isn't compulsory, and is covered by a mix of your employer (if there is one) and your own private cover. If there are noi claims in any one year, you often get a partial refund on your premiums.
It's not free at the point of delivery in either France or Germany.
If you don't pay at the point of delivery it is free "at the point of delivery".
Then even if you do pay "at the point of delivery" it is only a small percentage of the real cost. And many ancilliary services are free or very cheap, e.g. blood tests, xrays, etc. I think it's something like 25€ for an Xray. And you walk out with your Xray to give to your doctor, etc. And another is sent directly to your doctor.
It's about 25€ to see a doctor, which is reimbursed by the private insurance automatically.

If you need a hospital stay, you have choices about the quality of the room e.g. TV, phone, internet, etc/ private room, etc.
Obviosly your premiums are based on those choices.

Oh, and you can usually get a routine appointment face to face within about 2 days.

If so why is the nhs in the state it is?

Blup
Poor management and incompetence? I can’t speak for the whole of the NHS but absenteeism is a major problem in the place someone I know works. I’m talking about the long term sick who return on a phased return, spend a week or two and then go off again for another 6 months. One long term slacker actually retired, they thought they’d seen the last of her, she asked to withdraw her notice and return, they let her, she worked one week and hasn’t been seen since March. Because they are paying her, there is no money in the departmental budget to get someone else in to do her job. Also, despite nobody being allowed to take more than two weeks holiday at a time unless there are exceptional circumstances, the managers at all levels pop back to Nigeria and of course, while they are there they either lose their passport or catch coronavirus or some other illness so they are off for months, yes months at a time - all on full pay of course. It's a total pîss take and makes my blood boil. I dare say I’m going to get some on here telling me this is all porkie pies but anyone on here who knows anybody that works in the NHS will know what I’m talking about.

Covid , flu , shingles and pneumonia jabs yous are all going to look like a pin cushion

Covid , flu , shingles and pneumonia jabs yous are all going to look like a pin cushion
That about two a year, usually.

Shingles, about 1 jab in 70 years.
Pneumonia, rare but may be combined with flu jab

Very small cushions down your way.

Poor management and incompetence? I can’t speak for the whole of the NHS but absenteeism is a major problem in the place someone I know works. I’m talking about the long term sick who return on a phased return, spend a week or two and then go off again for another 6 months. One long term slacker actually retired, they thought they’d seen the last of her, she asked to withdraw her notice and return, they let her, she worked one week and hasn’t been seen since March. Because they are paying her, there is no money in the departmental budget to get someone else in to do her job. Also, despite nobody being allowed to take more than two weeks holiday at a time unless there are exceptional circumstances, the managers at all levels pop back to Nigeria and of course, while they are there they either lose their passport or catch coronavirus or some other illness so they are off for months, yes months at a time - all on full pay of course. It's a total pîss take and makes my blood boil. I dare say I’m going to get some on here telling me this is all porkie pies but anyone on here who knows anybody that works in the NHS will know what I’m talking about.
Maybe that's a factor, but management seems pretty poor in private and public sector, they squeeze people dry and expect them to hit the ground running.

Blup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back