NICEIC & SELECT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently seeking quotes from tradesmen to install a combi boiler and complete a re-wire, this is for a property I'll be renting out. I've been approaching Gas Safe registered companies for the former and NICEIC/SELECT registered for the latter ... I'm in Scotland btw.

One of the heating engineers has advised, although he is neither NICEIC or SELECT registered, he can complete a variety of electrical works including complete re-wires. Indeed on his website (I appreciate this doesn't really mean anything as such) he devotes a page to all the electrical works he covers. He's suggesting that, although he's not registered with the aforementioned, he complies with all Scottish Government guidelines re: 'landlord electrical installation condition report and PAT testing.'

I'm not doubting the guys legitimacy and competency when it comes to the gas side, indeed I don't doubt he can also do the electrical works. However I normally feel 'safer' going with tradesmen that are registered with one of the recognized bodies. Am I right to take this approach, or am I being over cautious?

One good thing about giving him both jobs is exactly that, he will complete both as oppose to me hiring two separate companies.

Thoughts/advice please.

Sponsored Links
I'm not doubting the guys legitimacy and competency when it comes to the gas side, indeed I don't doubt he can also do the electrical works. However I normally feel 'safer' going with tradesmen that are registered with one of the recognized bodies. Am I right to take this approach, or am I being over cautious?
No! even the more recognised bodies have complete numpties registered to their schemes!

One good thing about giving him both jobs is exactly that, he will complete both as oppose to me hiring two separate companies.
Which is good with regards of less organisation/arrangement of two trades and the fact you only need to trust one person in your property and hopefully he is trustworthy!

The question is is this person competent to carry out electrical installation work? I certainly don't know the answer given that I know nothing about the person.

Also will he provide an Electrical Installation Certificate as required by BS 7671:2008 (2015)? (An Electrical Installation Condition Report is not relevant to the new work, nor is PAT testing.)

(An Electrical Installation Condition Report is not relevant to the new work, nor is PAT testing.)
But as the property is to be let, and maybe the property will have appliances fitted pre-rental? The landlord will have an responsibility to prove the appliances are safe for use, so PAT could be applicable in this case.
And if the property is only part rewire? Then so could an EICR!

Sponsored Links
Since December, to comply with 'statutory guidance' EICR's are required 5-yearly for rental properties (next December for existing leases) and must be done by NICEIC/SELECT registered electricians or someone who can complete the checklist on page 13 here: https://www.prhpscotland.gov.uk/sit...PRIVATE RENTED PROPERTY - Revised Vers#2.docx There is no such requirement for installation work but if subject to a building warrant the local authority building control dept may not accept EIC's from unregistered electricians (individual councils have their own rules).

Since December, to comply with 'statutory guidance' ....
Perhaps I'm being dim, but what on earth is 'Statutory guidance'?? To my simple mind, something is either a Statutory requirement or else is just (not Statutorily required) 'guidance'.

Kind Regards, John

Maybe it is guidance on how to statutorily comply?
Who knows. If, as seems to be implied, there is probably a very clearly defined Statutory requirement, I'm not really sure what 'guidance' would be required in order to know how to comply with the requirement :)

Kind Regards, John

Something similar to the"approved documents" for English building regulations, perhaps? Although if they're that similar they'll contain a lot of things which aren't actually required by the statute!

Something similar to the"approved documents" for English building regulations, perhaps?
Maybe, but I wouldn't use (and haven't noticed anyone else using) the phrase "Statutory Guidance" in relation to Approved Documents! As far as I am concerned, "Statutory" has a very specific meaning, which is not applicable to something which is only 'guidance'.

Kind Regards, John

what on earth is 'Statutory guidance'?? To my simple mind, something is either a Statutory requirement or else is just (not Statutorily required) 'guidance'.

It's a question I'd like the answer to myself, as you point out 'statutory' and 'guidance' are contradictory terms and as things stand it looks like I will have to have to register with a scam (NICEIC) which I am not happy about!

As far as I am concerned, "Statutory" has a very specific meaning, which is not applicable to something which is only 'guidance'.
I agree, but was just trying to think of what might apply. Although to my mind, statutes should be written in clear enough language anyway that there is no need for "guidance" to understand what they mean.

I agree, but was just trying to think of what might apply. Although to my mind, statutes should be written in clear enough language anyway that there is no need for "guidance" to understand what they mean.
Indeed - and if what we were told ("... EICR's are required 5-yearly for rental properties (next December for existing leases) and must be done by NICEIC/SELECT registered electricians or someone who can complete the checklist on page 13 here:...") is an accurate reflection of what the Statute actually says, I really don't see that any 'guidance' would be required in order for people to understand what the Statute means!

Kind Regards, John

There is ministerial guidance to back up the regulation (which is an amendment to the existing housing act), so the guidance can be changed - and it already has been changed to expand the organisations that can carry out the EICRs - NAPIT has been added.
Depending on the type of property, a building warrant may be needed for a rewire, and currently only SELECT members can do the testing and submit the paperwork to building control (they often accept an EICR from anybody if you tell them your sparky has went missing).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back