No more Mr Nice Guy

n2o

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this posting should be in the RGI section, but I haven’t managed to register yet.

The thing is, I completed my ACS re-assessments a couple of weeks back and asked the assessor how long it would take for the CORGI database to be updated. He said anytime between a fortnight and six weeks, but it depended on the scheme provider. I asked if I could work on gas in the meantime and he said that officially no, but on the other hand I had proved I was competent.

I must admit I have been expecting a reminding phone call or letter from CORGI and sure enough a letter has just arrived. It informs me that I have 20 business days from the date of the letter 11/02/08 to provide the necessary details or I will be removed from the CORGI Register. By my reckoning that would be the 10th of March.

Then it states in bold print that “Removal of this registration is due to take place on the 15 Feb 2008”, Yesterday.

They also point out that anyone found to be carrying out gas installation work after being removed from the register is likely to be treated particularly severely by the HSE.

All these threats are from a company that in recent times have insisted on calling us members.

Makes me sick!

Sponsored Links
Welcome to the gas industry. :)

It took 3 months for £orgi to register me after I had finished ACS. :evil:

i would never recommend anyone works on gas until you have the certificate in your hand, although a technicality the assessment centre is recommending you for registration as they have deemed you competent, it is actually the scheme provider that confirms this after external verification of all paperwork, it doesn't happen too often but it wouldn't be the first time a set of papers were sent back as a test result hadn't been completed properly, say it was a spillage test result not recorded properly you would have to return to the centre and redo the test therefore any spillage tests you had done in the meantime would be rendered as potentially unsafe ( a long shot but can you see where it would all go in the event of an incident) in the real world if someone completes paperwork and tests to the satisfaction of the centre assessor, the internal verifier, the external verifier and eventually the scheme provider he probably could have been working while waiting on the cert coming, but it is only when something goes wrong that anyone takes a look and something must have went wrong to be getting looked at you will be deemed not yet competant as you do not have the cert, sorry to ramble on a bit but ultimately it will be your choice but you could get into trouble even before you start out.

The body of the letter is as follows;-

CORGI Registration Requirements

It would appear that the information we hold on our database might require updating, as we do not appear to have a record of operatives listed against your registration.

We must bring to your attention that in accordance with the "Rules for Registration" you are required to provide CORGI with details of your operatives and valid certificates of competence for the areas of gas work that they may undertake.

CORGI can only accept electronically transferred confirmation from the relevant Accreditation Body as evidence of certification. Please provide details of your operatives within 20 business days of the date of this letter. If this information is not received within this time CORGI will have no choice but to remove you from the CORGI Register. This removal in most instances is a temporary measure however, reinstatement will only occur at your instigation. Please contact us in writing, with details of your operative and arrangements will then be made to reinstate the registration.

Removal of this registration is due to take place on the 15 Feb 2008.

The Health & Safety Executive who are responsible for enforcing gas safety legislation have asked CORGI to remind installers that once removed from the register that they cannot legally carry out any further gas fitting work until they have been reinstated. Installers who are removed because they have been unable to provide adequate proof of competence are likely to be treated particularly severely by the Health & Safety Executive, if they are found to be carrying out gas installation work after being removed from the register. This may involve prosecution and considerable fines being imposed.

If you have any concerns over this matter, please do not hesitate in contacting the Customer Services department who will be happy to help you.

Yours sincerely

--------------------------------------

This does not make sense to me.

The first part of the letter tells me that I have 20 business days from the date of the letter (11/02/2008) to provide the details or I will be removed from the register and the second part informs me that I have already been removed.

Crazy as that seems I presume there is nothing I can do until I receive my certificate.

Sponsored Links
Corgi have been sending out these letters with the 15th Feb on them by mistake.

Makes you wonder what we pay them for.

They can't get anything right and certainly are not bothered about gas safety, only getting your money.

Tell them you are Polish and they will let you work on gas with no qualifications and leave you alone :rolleyes:

You must get on the phone and holler, or things can go haywire. You might have to speak the the ACS centre, Corgi AND the board - CITB or whoever your ACS Centre uses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back