No sounds from speakers.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a modern computer running Vista home basic.

The bottom line icon shows speakers turned off with red cross.

On clicking it says windows sounds are turned off, do you want to turn them off. Clicking that activates a run program request for sounds applet.

Everything that I can see indicates that its working but it does not!

Any ideas? Some of the names I have given above are not exact but convey the same meaning.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Have they ever worked ? If so, right click my computer and go into manage. Once in here go to device manager and see if there are any error messages as for what ever reason, it could need its drivers putting back in

Hope this helps ?

Dave

It used to work but about two months I turned it off within some clean-up or speed-up program to stop the 16 y.o. spending too much time listening to music rather than GCSEs.

The device manager says its working normally.

But placing the cursor over the icon it says the Audio Service is not running. It gives an option to make it run but activating that makes no difference.

Tony

You could try & do a backup, then go & do a restore to when it did work.
Then if it works have a look at the settings.

Sponsored Links
Its several months since it was last working.

I am also worried in case I mess up something else.

Its so odd because everything says its working apart from the icon showing Audio Service not Running and then not running when clicked to turn it on.

Tony

it sounds like you may have deleted/removed some of the vital audio files that keep the your speakers working also its worth keeping in mind if youve converted to vista and you brought your sound card and say 5 years ago you may need to install software that is compatible

try un installing your audio drive software and re installing it

Another site has come up with what has pointed me towards the ultimate solution!

It suggested I went to control panel, administration.

That had two audio listings, one something like audio devices which was shown as working and the other something odd like Audio End Builder.

That was shown as disabled and when enabled its all working.

Its been a bit of a problem as I have had one of our 0800 numbers terminated on a voicemail which sends the audio file as an email attachment so about four calls have not been listened to. Now I should be able to listen to them and if that is a useful service I will reconnect it.

This problem all arose from an offer too good to believe ( which was not! ). It was a single payment of about £200 for an 0800 number which could terminate at a mobile with no on going costs! So I had several cards and stickers printed up and distributed several hundred.

The firm then went mostly bust and withdrew the offer so we are back with the actual ISP but they want paying about 15p/min to terminate on a mobile or 2p/min on a landline or their voicemail. Since most calls are asking for advice or what we would charge we cannot afford to pay for calls costing US £2-£4 for free advice.

Tony

Back