Oh the vermin are at it again.

Sponsored Links
Not far removed from a working class chap going Badger baiting, or rabbiting with ferrets. (and before anyone says you can't eat a fox,, ask a South Korean. ) ;) ;) ;)

Anyway, it's in the Daily Fail,,, so you know it must be true. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It doesn't matter from which class of society you come, killing animals unnecessarily and painfully is anathema to me. I believe there is something wrong with people - usually men - who feel the need to do such things as a means to prove to others and themselves their macho masculinity.

As a friend of mine once said, 'If you kill it, you must eat it'. Perhaps that's one of the punishments that should be meted out to these people.

Agreed to a point. Being a towny all my life does not make me oblivious to the need for killing pest populations in the interest of farming, livestock protection, etc.

It's the "enjoyment" factor that I have issue with. If it is indeed only realistically possible (and the most efficient means) for a pack of hounds to be used to find and kill a fox in a rural setting, then by all means one or two people on horseback to check and monitor progress seems sensible. However, a load of people making it a fun day out is not acceptable IMO.

Sponsored Links
Agreed to a point. Being a towny all my life does not make me oblivious to the need for killing pest populations in the interest of farming, livestock protection, etc.

It's the "enjoyment" factor that I have issue with. If it is indeed only realistically possible (and the most efficient means) for a pack of hounds to be used to find and kill a fox in a rural setting, then by all means one or two people on horseback to check and monitor progress seems sensible. However, a load of people making it a fun day out is not acceptable IMO.

My brother in law used to go out killing foxes on a night on the pennines
they'd kill three or four a night and leave them at the farmers gates.

The fox was running towards them as they could mimic a hurt rabbit cry the next minute it was dead, shot between the eyes.
He thought hunting them with dogs was barbaric, his view "The fox is a nocturnal animal, so why do they hunt them in the daytime" the truth is that its about "sport" not keeping the numbers down.........and thats from someone who used to hunt them, but hes grown out of it now.

I wish that the debate would be a bit more honest.

The hunts should just admit that it is enjoyable, and that is why they do it rather.

The anti hunters should say they don't like the people that hunt.

Also amusing that a lot of the hang em and flog em types don't think it should apply when it is them breaking a law.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with killing animals but not sure about hounds rather than shooting.

I have changed, though -as a boy I used to snare rabbits as taught by my grandfather but think it is terribly cruel now

Thanks. IMHO it's what's the most effective procedure that counts.

If it can be demonstrated by anyone on here who advocates hunting by packs of hounds accompanied by packs of people blowing horns etc etc that this is a highly efficient technique, then I'm sure that we'll all be able to remain calm and logical in the ensuing analysis ;)

"The fox is a nocturnal animal, so why do they hunt them in the daytime" the truth is that its about "sport" not keeping the numbers down
End of the argument!

Unless of course we could hope to see the red coated t*ssers blundering about in the dark and breaking their necks!

(not the horses!)

It's interesting no-one seems to have mentioned the RSPCAs crackpot decision to use £330,000 of public donations to take a few nobs to court, when not even a criminal conviction would come from it.????

I thought they were hard up.????? Surely that money could have been used for more deserving purposes.????

It's interesting no-one seems to have mentioned the RSPCAs crackpot decision to use £330,000 of public donations to take a few nobs to court, when not even a criminal conviction would come from it.????

I thought they were hard up.????? Surely that money could have been used for more deserving purposes.????

surely they should have been awarded costs by the courts against the criminals !

I dont agree with fox hunting with dogs, but foxes are vermin at the end of the day and they cause destruction and kill other farm animals which farmers rely on for income. I have seen a chicken coup after a fox came to visit and it wasnt pretty at all. Neither was the dead lamb which was ravished by a fox.

I think controlled gun killing is the only acceptable way to get rid of them.

As Gasbaani said, my brother-in-law is a farmer and he has a game-keeper who comes every now and again shooting foxes on his land at night. He seems to have no problem keeping their numbers under control using this method...

Several people have expressed my feelings more clearly than I could. If they are classed as vermin and need removing for the protection of other animals and farmers, shooting (by an expert who can hit the right part!) is the best method.

Then again, if we let things go back to nature, and stopped culling, would foxes take over the world?!

Sponsored Links
Back