Old Conservatives don't understand

Why haven't the left spotted this, do they hate private landlords so much they are willing to overlook the investment bankers and big companies taking over the housing stock who will squeeze even more profit form the renters. The left should be behind the individual private landlord as a champion providing quality housing.
Exactly.
Also, the smaller landlords tend to offer a wide variety of properties so (present market imbalance and ensuing problems aside) means choice for the renters - and yes, that will mean being able to pay less for a "lower spec" property. The institutional investors will provide stacks of shoeboxes, all mod cons, gyms, stuff like that - but priced to suit, so nothing for anyone but the more affluent sectors.

But certain groups (like Shelter and Generation Rent) are happy to ignore anything that doesn't support their narrative. I can't help thinking that there are two types of people driving them - some completely oblivious to reality, and others who don't care as long as they get to make a good living from it (I can't make my mind up which is more dangerous).

What IS needed is better enforcement of existing rules. We don't actually need an Aswab's Law - providing a mouldy property* was already breaking regulations, there was already means to deal with problems, but no-one has the cash to enforce the regs. So as a result we get a situation of "the rules aren't working, clearly we need more rules". Adding more rules simply ups the burden on good landlords, while the bad ones simply have one more rule to ignore (almost) with impunity.
* Mould is sometimes a property defect (as in Aswab's case), or it can be a lifestyle issue (as in a tenant I had once that sealed up all the vents, turned off the heating to save money, didn't use the extractor when cooking, turned off the bathroom extractor, dried clothes inside on an airer - and then complained to the council about mould :rolleyes:)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Private landlords are a saviour. What would happen without them ? The government can’t maintain its current housing stock, let alone produce more.

But more and more BTL landlords are selling up due to the government.
Councils sold up because of the Government right to buy but no right to use the money to build more.

It's a created crisis. All those lucky landlords to fill the gap and make healthy profits. Often out of those very councils that have got no money left.

It's a vicious circle, getting worse.

Why haven't the left spotted this, do they hate private landlords so much they are willing to overlook the investment bankers and big companies taking over the housing stock who will squeeze even more profit form the renters. The left should be behind the individual private landlord as a champion providing quality housing.
Most people have spotted it

But councils haven't got the money to build and supply any accomodation.

The Tories like it, their buddies happen to have the money to do what is needed.

And people keep voting for more of it

Sponsored Links
Well we need more social
Housing in order to house all the new immigrants that will be coming to
The UK

6 million new comers by 2030 ???

Could be an emergency policy introduced any one with a spare room will be forced to take in a migrant ???

Ask not what the country can do for you ask what you can do for your country (y)

It’s like private landlords are being picked off one by one now.

I do work for a very savvy landlord and he’s just bought 10 out of 12 in an apartment block for a song. That was from a few individual landlords.

The interest rate on BTL has made low value property especially volatile.

Through investment. If private landlords can and do build and maintain a property portfolio, why can’t councils ?

Private landlords building more houses?

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but not at any scale worth a dry w@nk, nationally.

Private landlords building more houses?

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but not at any scale worth a dry w@nk, nationally.
Maybe they don’t build; but they buy and maintain more private properties than pretty much any council.

Without private landlords there would be a serious shortage of homes to rent. End of

Maybe they don’t build; but they buy and maintain more private properties than pretty much any council.

Without private landlords there would be a serious shortage of homes to rent. End of

Without more houses, it's just a game of solitaire.

Without more houses, it's just a game of solitaire.
Not really, new builds are thrown up in every single town ?

People can’t get on the property landlord, so incomes the BTL landlord.

Take away BTL and what do you have? A housing shortage.

And a lot of private landlords buy new builds.

why can’t councils ?
Lots of reasons like borrowing caps and lack of funding. Under RTB they may also have to sell them soon after building them, at a loss.

Sponsored Links
Back