Padding out steel beam

You can pack with most things mentioned in this thread, but should avoid plastic packers.

And ensure to fit noggins inbetween the bearings to prevent twisting

Sponsored Links
So may I ask how did the joists not require noggins before when there was an oak beam holdiing them up, well most of them?

Sponsored Links
OP, why not lay a straight edge and level across the bare floorboards above the joists - check from left to right (as in your sketch) and lengthways back across the floor. check in a few positions.
you are looking for a flat level floor esp. above the new lintel - no humps and no slopes.

the sections you have sketched might have originally been shaved on their bottom, bearing edges to allow the joists to sit level on the uneven oak beam?
if the sections have been eased then it means the top edges might all be level?

So may I ask how did the joists not require noggins before when there was an oak beam holdiing them up, well most of them?
You may well ask.

Likewise, may I ask why somewhere like Grenfell did not require firemen before the day of the fire?

OP, why not lay a straight edge and level across the bare floorboards above the joists - check from left to right (as in your sketch) and lengthways back across the floor. check in a few positions.
you are looking for a flat level floor esp. above the new lintel - no humps and no slopes.

the sections you have sketched might have originally been shaved on their bottom, bearing edges to allow the joists to sit level on the uneven oak beam?
if the sections have been eased then it means the top edges might all be level?
Not bothered about an uneven floor above as that is what is currently there and goes with the character and age of the property.All I need is that the floorboards are supported by the joists which hopefully touch the steel beam hence the need for packing pieces.

The point is that's how it should be constructed. Just because something has gone without being built properly for years, does not mean that it's correct or should be left like it.

is there anything to be gained by using anything harder than the joists themselves?

I wouldve thought plastic shims would be fine -how much load can there be
Agree, although my concern was the plastic ones tend to have big cutouts in them meaning the pressure is a fair bit greater. for a heavily loaded beam the bearing would be proved for the whole area of timber being in contact.
However I decided for the ground floor ones there was only 5-6feet so I just went ahead anyway. The floor is that wonky anyway from being 100 years old I wasn't so bothered as long as the rotten bits were replaced!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back