part p dilemma in screwfix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
was in there today,some fella walks up and says "i saw you pull up in that van out there,are you an electrician"

"no mate " says i."i know its sign written but i just stole it from outside b and q".
we both laughed.
"i want to wire up my garage ,can you tell me what stuff i need"
"well" i said"thats a loaded question but the first thing you need to do is notify labc of your intention to work"

anyway,without listing the obvious conversation that followed,i was going to tell him to take the pole out of his backside and employ an electrician, but i thought as he was only going to do it anyway,better to help him then at least its a safe install.
now i havent condoned someone breaking the law,but i did help him as there was an obvious dilemma there.

would you lot have done the same?

Sponsored Links
Yes, wether they take the advise given on what to do and wether to inform LABC is not your problem, if he was going to install anyway you have made sure he does it correctly and you did tell him it was notifiable. I have done the same myself. Same as the advise given here.

i know mate really,i just wonder when the part p message is actually going to land on the general public.i wonder if all the fees paid have generated enough money for an ad campaign yet.

i suppose the easy way is to ban the sale of CUs and the like,from non trades people.thye just dont understand the implications of such work and never will it seems.
a CU with all the breakers and ten DSSOs for sixty notes from the sheds.
its all wrong

Sponsored Links
a CU with all the breakers and ten DSSOs for sixty notes from the sheds. its all wrong

the sheds are there to makle money.

they will sell anything legal.

you can buy a boiler and fit it, they dont tell you you cant connect the gas to it though. (learnt that in the plumbing forum)

i know what your saying breezer.
the odd part p sign here and there wouldnt go amiss though

Can't buy gas spares in Plumb Centre without a CORGI card any more, PTS are going the same way.

There is a new electrical wholesalers down the road from me, nearly had a look the other day until I saw a sign saying 'Open to the trade and the public' and thats never a good sign.

Daytona, I can very easily see your dilema, I try not to chat to people in screwfix and the like (not that I go in that often any more) and I have a mates-rates policy for my mates, most of whom are tradespeople anyway (re-wire for a driveway sort of thing too).

To be fair also we advise DIY on this internet forum, so why not out there in the real world too, not sure I would if they have a watering can up their *** though...

i just wonder when the part p message is actually going to land on the general public.

National advertisement via TV and radio and maybe large signs compulsory anywhere that sells electrical equipment would be a good start.

Part P is certainly not obvious to the general public I've spoken to.

i know mate really,i just wonder when the part p message is actually going to land on the general public.i wonder if all the fees paid have generated enough money for an ad campaign yet.

i suppose the easy way is to ban the sale of CUs and the like,from non trades people.thye just dont understand the implications of such work and never will it seems.
a CU with all the breakers and ten DSSOs for sixty notes from the sheds.
its all wrong

While they are at it how about banning the sale of computers to those who can not use the shift key, spell check button and space bar properly. :)

Or a more serious note why should the sale of components that can be used completely legally, under Building Regs Supervision be banned? Once you start down that road where will it end?

Car parts in case you make a bodge up of your brakes?
Garden Centres very poisionous some of those plants?
Petrol fancy selling that to people, what if they drink it while smoking?

mate my typings awful,i know that.i could spell check but i cant be bothered :LOL:

just trying to think of ways to force the public to confront part p thats all.
even if its to stop them getting ripped off.
i know part p only guarantees you a competent person,not even an electrician,but if theres a cert then theres accountability

It seems a very clumsy and expensive way of putting in some quality control, and was there a big problem needing sorting in the first place?

OK other posters are finding enough dodgy stuff, to keep us all amused. But even then most of it is only being found when a spark is called in often to do something else.

I have a strong feeling that part P is a solution looking for a problem, and being told that I can not do my own electrical work, in my own home without paying the council to check up on me really annoys me. :evil:

last visit to wholesaler, a builder bloke was trying to get an old 45 amp rewirable carrier,when told it was obsolete , proceeded to buy a henley block, tails and a shower one way board.

He said he was not bothered about part p as it was his sons house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back