part p dilemma in screwfix

Sponsored Links
The point has been made before that a lot more people are killed on the road than through faulty electrical installations, but that is no comfort to the victims of electrocution.

In this example it seems two serious faults combined to seal this poor woman’s fate.

The supply from the house to the outhouse had become disconnected from the earthing system because of a fault, the inquest was told.
Another fault meant that when lights were turned on in the garage, the wiring and sockets which led to the radio became live.

I liken this to an American's right to bear arms: what you do in your own home etc. The difference in cost to part P everything is hundreds of pounds. I can fit brakes to my car. There's a system that's a bit older than part P - its called caveat emptor - buyer beware. How many people actually die from electrocution? I know for a fact in the UK several thousand die from car accidents every year.

The reason legislation has been imposed here is because its easy, and even easier to extract a fee. I'm sorry I think part P is utterly pointless and nothing but namby pamby overactive government. But perhaps this is only because I was around when they introduced it - I don't say the same about building regs ...

Having said that looky here:

Despite widespread fears about poisoning and electrocution, annual deaths from these were in single figures.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4316203.stm

Says it all really. Say 10 people die every year from electrocution. In 65 million that's odds of 1/6.5m or about twice the chance you've got of winning the lottery. If everyone lived till they were 100 years on average that would still only be 1 in 650,000 die from electrocution in your lifetime.

Waste of time. Tax on studipity? I think so!

I know probably more than a dozen people who have died from car accidents and never heard of anyone dying from an electric shock, and not even in the news when that person didn't also have a heart attack.

In short, this information should not be secret, it should be public. As a professional spark you're not a custodian of top secret means to get round part P. Everyone has a right to this information. The difference is a) they don't get paid to do the work and b) they don't get a pointless tax certificate at the end of it.

Sponsored Links
^yeah but its not just electrocution, i saw some statistics for house fires recently which suggested that the majority of fires were bad electrics, .

my views on part p are mixed, as a house buyer its good (or will be when its been in long enough), buying a property that is built and modified according to regulations is a good thing. as a house owner its a pain.

as for the original question if he was going to do it anyway he may aswell do it right, I'd have probably just plugged DIYnot.com.

now i havent condoned someone breaking the law,but i did help him as there was an obvious dilemma there.
You helped him to comply with the law, as the law requires him to make reasonable provision for safety.

Even if he doesn't notify, he is still legally required to make reasonable provision for safety.

Even if he doesn't know about Part P, he is still legally required to make reasonable provision for safety.

What dilemma?

If someone was asking directions, and you knew he wasn't going to stick to the speed limit, would you refuse to give him directions?

What dilemma?

you can buy a boiler and fit it, they dont tell you you cant connect the gas to it though. (learnt that in the plumbing forum)
There's no law against it.

It seems a very clumsy and expensive way of putting in some quality control, and was there a big problem needing sorting in the first place?
No.

^yeah but its not just electrocution, i saw some statistics for house fires recently which suggested that the majority of fires were bad electrics.
That might be because the Fire Service don't like to put "dunno" on the forms and if they can't find an obvious other cause they often put "electrical".

Good one about fires, I must admit the majority of 'atrocities' I find in domestic installations (commercial, your not alone matey) are in most instances an electrical fire waiting to happen as opposed to an electrocution.

Fire service do sometimes put the cause of fire down to 'unknown cause' allthough that said I did read in one of the red rags a while back about a house in the wilds up north that burn down due to an electrical fire even though the supply had been disconnected and locked off by the REC.

i saw some statistics for house fires recently which suggested that the majority of fires were bad electrics

Plenty of fires have electrical origins, but this also includes fires caused by:

:arrow: people drying teatowels over radiant electric fires
:arrow: no fusewire? - use an old nail in the fusebox
:arrow: damaged and broken appliances
:arrow: short length of 5mm studding in the plug instead of a fuse
:arrow: use of multiple 3-way block type adaptors so that 20 items can be plugged into a single socket
:arrow: flexes run under carpets, across doorways
:arrow: 3kW heater on the end of a coiled up 5A extension lead
:arrow: and so on

Nothing will ever prevent those.

No - but the frequency of some of them can be increased by putting restrictions on DIY electrical work...

I can't see how any of these regulations are ever going to prevent peoples stupidity. People will just do the work regardless.

On a different note, I recently bought some TRV for my rads and the plumbing merchant told me they'd just had a bloke in to buy labelled 'gas tape' for a split in the rubber pipe on the back of his cooker. He was told gas tape isn't for repairing gas leaks but bought it anyway... :eek:

Don't think any regs will ever stop this sort of insanity.

Hi, this is my first post so I hope you don't mind me jumping into this thread.

This idea about not supplying parts to people without a qualification worries me. There are many people like myself who have a house but live on a very low income. Many times, if something breaks, or needs replacing, there's no money to pay a tradesman - let alone a qualified one.

The choice is often to either DIY or live in the cold and the dark. Obviously safety must come first with any type of diy - and I would hope that any DIYer forced by circumstance to work illegally, or to not notify LABC of notifiable works, would make sure that the job is done as safely as possible.

However, I have noticed a trend lately that technical information about such work, and now possibly even the parts needed to do the job safely, should be confined to only those people who are qualified and registered. In my opinion this is a (quite possibly literally) fatal error. When people do not have the money to pay a qualified person, most will attempt the job themselves or get a friend to do it. If that person does not have access to the correct parts or information, then the job will be bodged. For that reason, I think the recent idea of restricting access to parts and information will likely not achieve its goal of reducing DIY casualties, and may indeed have the opposite effect.

I'm not talking about people who take foreign holidays, drive 4x4's and then complain about the expense of employing a tradesman. I mean people who really do have trouble making ends meet.

i started that about banning sales of electrical items.
what i meant was the more complicated stuff should be kept out of reach.
to my mind its foolhardy and dangerous to let a diyer loose on a new CU for example.you wont know the regs,be able to do the testing and so much could go wrong,the consequences of which dont bear thinking about.
yet you can get one from the sheds for sixty notes and walk out,totally oblivious to what your supposed to do with it.
there is more to safe circuit design than connecting pieces of cable together

i started that about banning sales of electrical items.
what i meant was the more complicated stuff should be kept out of reach.
to my mind its foolhardy and dangerous to let a diyer loose on a new CU for example.you wont know the regs,be able to do the testing and so much could go wrong,the consequences of which dont bear thinking about.
On the other hand I would much rather they replaced a damaged or inadequate CU rather than bodge something together using the existing CU and whatever bits they could get thier hands on.

there is more to safe circuit design than connecting pieces of cable together
There is indeed but provided the user uses type B MCBs (and you have to go out of your way to get other types, the diy sheds don't stock them in my experiance) of the same rating as before then the overcurrent protection probablly won't be worse than it was before. I suppose they could put circuits on non-rcd that were on rcd before and make them less safe in that way but quite frankly we lived without RCDs for a very long time and afaict electrical death rates were already pretty damn low.

Part P is a odd one, what if you are qualified with all the certificates (like myself and many of you peeps) yet you still cant do simple jobs in your own home. I know of sparkys who have been trading for 40 yrs with no problems and then had to give it up because they couldnt justify the cost of NIC etc.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back