Pass through socket or simple clamp showing power being used

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
I have a tumble dryer in an external shed running off a cable. It’s temp as having house gutted. Anyway, when it stops I have no way of knowing. Is there some indicator I can attach house side to tell me when it’s finished?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have a tumble dryer in an external shed running off a cable. It’s temp as having house gutted. Anyway, when it stops I have no way of knowing. Is there some indicator I can attach house side to tell me when it’s finished?
If it is plugged in to a socket in the house, then a cheapo plug-in 'energy monitor' (which is 'pass through') will tell you if it is drawing any current.

Kind Regards, John

If it is plugged in to a socket in the house, then a cheapo plug-in 'energy monitor' (which is 'pass through') will tell you if it is drawing any current.

Kind Regards, John
Ok ... who sells them and what price?

Ok ... who sells them and what price?
'Everyone' sells them! Whilst I do not necessarily buying a very cheap one from eBay, when I did an eBay search for "plug-in energy monitor", I got plenty of hits, the first of which was this one (click here) , at £7.99.

Kind Regards, John

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
'Everyone' sells them! Whilst I do not necessarily buying a very cheap one from eBay, when I did an eBay search for "plug-in energy monitor", I got plenty of hits, the first of which was this one (click here) , at £7.99.

Kind Regards, John
Ok. I see the type you are in about. Thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Don't all tumble-driers have a built in timer?
My mum's, which I inherited, had a simple clockwork type thing in the 70's
My washer drier has a push button that adds time in units. Just lok at your watch when you turn it on.

Er.... 20 mins after you set the timer for 20 mins?
Well, ours usually runs for 60 or 90 minutes but, yes, a watch/clock and a slight bit of memory ought to do the trick. I was not 'sympathising' with the OP's request, but was merely stating what he had asked!

Kind Regards, John

I do the same, put a battery on charge using energy monitor, it goes through stages 3.8A, 3A, 0.8A 0.1A and off which show on energy monitor as 54W, 44W, 14W, 2W and nearly zero so in my case with a wifi internet connected model I can see where every I am as long as 3G signal what stage battery charger has reached.

With tumble drier you will get around 2kW then around 250W when in cooling stage then zero once complete. With a humidity sensor clearly time varies so yes would work OK.

I also use mine to test fridge/freezer from time to time, a little maths involved, but over a week it records time and power used, so divide power by hours and times by 8760 (hours in a year) and we have watt/hours per year divide by 1000 and kWh per year, if some where near what adverts say it should use OK, if well over then further tests is temperature set correctly or has insulation failed.

It is about the only use for the devices, as does not matter how much my TV uses I am still watching TV and anyway written on the plate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back