Paying a day rate

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Amazingly the traffic is better in the morning. We do suffer a bit when we knock off.

It’s only a had full of times a year.
Every minute we delay leaving in the morning, adds two minutes to our journey. We pass four schools on the way to work, currently. I can't imagine travelling to work between 8 and 9. Horrendous.

Heavy traffic both ends of the day for you then. :confused:

I've not long finished a full refurb and the latest I started was 7.30, if I didn't get through Truro by that time it would have doubled the journey time. It was an empty building as well which helps. Finish was anytime between 3.30 and 6.00 depending on mood and what I was doing.
Back to reality now with customers asking me not to arrive before 9, school traffic, work traffic, HGV.s wedged between buildings, nightmare.

Amazingly the traffic is better in the morning. We do suffer a bit when we knock off.

It’s only a had full of times a year.
Knock it off at 3 and avoid traffic.
After all, if you're on a daily rate, why bother?
In fact, leave for lunch at 1, come back at 2, collect your tools, sweep the floor and shout "sayonara suckers" while you spin the wheels of your van on the way home.

Every minute we delay leaving in the morning, adds two minutes to our journey. We pass four schools on the way to work, currently. I can't imagine travelling to work between 8 and 9. Horrendous.
That’s my point, we don’t suffer with traffic at the time. It’s a doddle getting to work.

But like I said it’s “their” preferred time and that’s that. I pay the lads end of every week and move on.

Knock it off at 3 and avoid traffic.
After all, if you're on a daily rate, why bother?
In fact, leave for lunch at 1, come back at 2, collect your tools, sweep the floor and shout "sayonara suckers" while you spin the wheels of your van on the way home.
I’m not on a day rate, the lads are. Job and knock on a Friday if possible.

Back to reality now with customers asking me not to arrive before 9, school traffic, work traffic, HGV.s wedged between buildings, nightmare.
It’s all down to the customer.

I hate Truro at the best of times. I used to commute from PZ to Newquay for a year. Definitely set of early for that.

Boss collects me around 07:45, then it's either to site or builders merchants.

Contractually you specify a day rate based on minimum hours worked, if less worked then you pay this pro-rata. If nothing is documented then you argue a day implies min 7.5 hrs. Be aware though that builders etc. often have to nip off to get supplies, before they start. You should also make sure you pay above minimum wage.

only ever done day rate once that was for a mate doing a big extension that went on for about 9 months it was a lot of bits and bobs here and there ,
So agreed say rate . Then we would add up the hours 3 here 4 or 5 there day there max was two whole days spent on the job at one time . Then say right thats equivalent of 5 full days give us some dosh .Then let it build up again suited us and suited him and the builder also a mate as we could turn up and do bits here and there to suit them

Problem with a day rate is that if he makes a hash of a job not to your satisfaction you have to pay him a day rate to make good his mess.

Sponsored Links
Back