People using the Yellow/Green core in flex as a live conducter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its 3 core flex from the photocell to the box
I presumed that, but if 1 metre of one of the cores is over-sleeved (over-taped!) in brown, then 1 metre of the cable must have been stripped, leaving just single-insulated cores. So, as I asked, are they 'inside something', or what?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Added some commas to Rocky's post to mean what he intended
Ah. That interpretation didn't even occur to me - although it should have, since I was wondering why anyone would strip and sleeve a metre of a core :) Thanks.

Kind Regards, John

Sorry john :)

Its 3c flex as in the photo glanded into the box and photocell.
Its only stripped about three inches at the ends and brown taped both ends as per regs.
As i said, regardless of it conforming would you be happy to leave as such or would you prefer to replace oit with 4 core, though still having to oversleeve the Grey as Neutral and some may also sleeve the Black core to brown

Sponsored Links
Sorry john :)
No problem. As I've just written, I should have realised!
As i said, regardless of it conforming would you be happy to leave as such or would you prefer to replace oit with 4 core, though still having to oversleeve the Grey as Neutral and some may also sleeve the Black core to brown
That's quite a difficult one. Since it was 'already there' (and compliant), I certainly wouldn't feel obliged to replace it. If it were lengthy and/or buried cable and/or otherwise a hassle to replace, I probably would leave 'as is'. However, if it's just one meter of flex (even if it is 25 feet up, I might be tempted to replace it. However, don't forget, I'm not an electrician.

Kind Regards, John

I would expect that those responsible would use discretion and drop any charges
I think it perfectly reasonable to class that as being absolved from blame for the wrongdoing of going through a red light.

upload_2018-1-12_0-51-31.png

Ok John , thats where the confusion arose, as i added later in my post it was only a metre length, with a lack of commas. :)
I thought the length may influence your decision.
We find this a lot, in this case i changed it to 4 core, only as I dont like to see it, however if the cable is a chore to replace, then i leave be, as I discovered way back, the way the reg words it, it appears ok

it would be difficult to conclude that what he has specified was a "highly undesirable bad practice"
I (and, I imagine, most others) would regard it as a highly undesirable practice
I regard it as a highly undesirable practice!
I ... certainly think what it allows is 'bad practice'

if it were clearly a practice that was allowed by the regulations to which he was expected to work.
flex (with an G/Y insulated 'earth' core) that, in itself, is compliant with regs provided that the G/Y is sleeved accordingly (presumably brown) at both ends.
an over-sleeved G/Y would not, in itself, be non-compliant.
it is compliant with regulations to over-sleeve a G/Y-insulated core in a multi-core cable in order to use it as a live conductor
one has to conclude that they felt that ... the practice in question was therefore acceptable for G/Y cores of multi-core cables.
We have a regulation which indicates (or, at least, very strongly implies) that it is 'acceptable', in the eyes of the authors, to over-sleeve a G/Y-insulated core of a multi-core cable and use it as a live conductor.
(I) believe that the regulation does allow the practice.

We find this a lot, in this case i changed it to 4 core, only as I dont like to see it, however if the cable is a chore to replace, then i leave be, as I discovered way back, the way the reg words it, it appears ok
I hope that's not a position which gives consideration to what is reasonable. If it is, be prepared to be wilfully misinterpreted by some people here.

I too have done much the same - lights on red, "blues and twos" coming up behind, choice of either waiting and holding it up or crossing the white line and pulling into the other lane to let it past. Like you, I consider it the logical and ethical thing to do - but in law, there isn't actually any defence should TPTB decide to prosecute. I would expect that those responsible would use discretion and drop any charges, but there is nothing in law to protect you.
I notice now they turn off the sirens till the the lights are green round here.

http://www.bluelightaware.org.uk/?p=239

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/btRHvQEIkcU" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
We agree that we disagree. I wish we did not agree to disagree.
I wish you did not have such low standards that ....
As your continuing posts have made me realise, I was wrong to think that you would be able, let alone prepared, to "agree to disagree".

In my opinion, this is one of your greatest failings. I'm not really criticising, because I suspect that there is probably nothing you could do to change it, but it does seem that you are totally incapable of "agreeing to disagree".

In other words, if you have strong conviction or view about something, you simply cannot accept that anyone else does, or should, think differently, or have different opinions/views. Instead, you persist endlessly in trying to get them to change to your view, and if that doesn't succeed, then use every trick in the book (and probably some that have not yet got into the book!) in attempts to discredit them and/or make them feel inferior, guilty or whatever for not agreeing with you.

It's a pity. In the real world, people often do disagree, sometimes strongly, but those who cannot accept this as a 'fact of live' (and hence "agree to disagree") are just going to bring torment and frustration to themselves, and maybe to others.

Kind Regards, John

Oh, I see.

And this:
Well, for a start, I find it very hard to believe that any designer would "sit at his desk" and specify that an over-sleeved G/Y conductor should be used as a live conductor.

However, that does not alter the point that, even if someone did do that, I think that, personal opinions aside, it would be difficult to conclude that what he has specified was a "highly undesirable bad practice" if it were clearly a practice that was allowed by the regulations to which he was expected to work.
is you "agreeing to disagree" is it?

Do you define "agreeing to disagree" as meaning "I can continue to post in disagreement with you, but you must stop posting in disagreement with me"?

Is it a coincidence that you've raised this objection, and personal criticism, just after I showed that concluding "that what he has specified was a "highly undesirable bad practice" if it were clearly a practice that was allowed by the regulations to which he was expected to work" is exactly what you have been doing all along?

Another thing you have been doing all along is simply not accepting that I do, or should, think differently, or have different opinions/views to you - you have persisted in trying to get me to change to your view.

Oh - and BTW - which book of tricks are these in?
Does that meant that you can't, or won't, answer the question I posed in my last post?
However, he seems unable or unprepared to answer that question.
I wonder whether that means that he doesn't know the answer to my question (which seems very unlikely) or that he realises that answering it truthfully would undermine all he has been saying?
Having recently written ...
I wonder whether that means that he doesn't know the answer to my question (which seems very unlikely) or that he realises that answering it truthfully would undermine all he has been saying?
... I will leave it to others, as well as myself, to draw their conclusions.

I notice now they turn off the sirens till the the lights are green round here.

http://www.bluelightaware.org.uk/?p=239
I feel there would be a public outcry if it could be shown that someone had died because all the drivers followed the rules and no one would enter a bus lane. Could you imagine the Daily Mail’s take on that? I’d humbly suggest that one has to be practical about these things.
As an adult, I’m able to make informed decisions. If its safe to cross the white line, or enter a bus lane, to enable an emergency vehicle past that would otherwise be stuck - why wouldn’t you?
I would be more than cross if a relative of mine died because everyone obeyed the existing Highway Code when by behaving differently, but safely, a life could have been saved.
What they said.

I've also done the bus lane thing, and have been known to accelerate to over the speed limit if I can see a place to pull over up ahead, in order to get there sooner.

Oh - and BTW - which book of tricks are these in?
Presumably whichever book your personality has read, since I was trying to emulate your tactics - but you don't seem to realise when attempts are being made to 'give you a dose of your own medicine'.

As I said, probably through no fault of your own, I don't believe that you are ever going to change, so, sad though it may be, I may have to unilaterally 'give myself a rest from you' in order to be able to feel that I am somewhere other than in a classroom or interrogation room.

Even if we ignore those "medicinal doses", you have given as good as you got, all the way through.

You have consistently told me I was wrong, consistently argued against me, you have told me that I cannot say what I do, and you have misrepresented my position in comments to others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back