Photo of the moment!

Sponsored Links
Free electricity??! + VIR...

It looks like the incomer ( bright red ) goes only to the meter so all power is going through the meter, the neutral in and neutral out terminals of the meter are busbarred together in the meter so that mis-placed neutral won't affect the meters readings.

It is the "cable" leaving from the from top of the switched fuse at the left of the picture that worries me. Looks like bell wire or a single live ( it is red )

Sponsored Links
Switch fused bodged into cutout and meter wired wired backwards? Pyro I assume is not the supply? (top right?).

My predictions / observations

MICC / MIMS is the supply cable
Neutral in wrong terminal wont affect meter readings
No main earth on the MIMS in visable :eek: (although could be out of shot)

Its in a flat??

Yep looks like the meter changer has stuck one of the neutrals in the wrong side of the meter due to lack of space) I thought modern meters would flag that myself but anyway . .)

The Pyro IS the supply and as several of you noticed - there is NO earthing or bonding at all. Doesn't look like there ever has been either.

It is getting a full rewire.

Anyone care to estimate the age of the wooden fusebox and MEM isolator? (I don't know, am wondering) Didn't get a picture of the inside of the 'box but I should be back there fairly soon if anyone's interested.

Anyone care to estimate the age of the wooden fusebox and MEM isolator? (I don't know, am wondering) Didn't get a picture of the inside of the 'box but I should be back there fairly soon if anyone's interested.

we had exactly the same isolator and wooden fuse box feeding the lighting in the house I grew up in

I rewired that back in 1980 and a rewire was long over due then :eek:

there was four rewirable ceramic fuses in the wooden box two for live and two for neutral (I think it was MEM too)

as for the age of them,not sure but I would guess datewise 1950's at least but probably older

Matt

I have removed similar items, wiring in old victorian large house (still had the wires installed for the front bell and servants bells. The lighting circuits were constructed from rolled steel conduit with couplers and tees ect having a licking grub screw on them and braided multicore singles (3/036?) pulled thorugh them, very neatly installed, have also seen and removed the old wooden "trunking" with two channels inside and a decorative "lid" installed with same type of fuse boxes. Also noted were that fact that both line and neutral were fused.

I have removed similar items, wiring in old victorian large house (still had the wires installed for the front bell and servants bells. The lighting circuits were constructed from rolled steel conduit with couplers and tees ect having a licking grub screw on them and braided multicore singles (3/036?) pulled thorugh them.
yep same in ours, we didnt have the servant bells but did have the wired front door bell (mechanical pull wire)

and split conduit we used to call that stuff, pulled out loads when I was an apprentice (apart from the vertical drops that were handy to draw new T&E down )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back