Photo of the moment!

Is it not possible to gland the MICC in a metal enclosure and take it from there?

I suppose it would be possible but I don't fancy trying to re-terminate the 50+ yr old MICC (guessing the age based on fuse marked 1953) even if I had the tools to do it . . . would be better off running new swa (which I have seen done in a similar situation) but really I don't want to be messing with the supply until it is on the customers side! All that would be expected by DNO is to take an earth from the pyro with a bs951 clamp. Maybe it's overkill but I would rather run a separate wire. I might put a clamp on too.

For the record I have been told by DNO man who came out to one place to use the clamp earthing method on their cable and they refuse to connect it themselves or provide an alternative earth without upgrading the whole supply which they will only do for the whole building, not individual flats.

Sponsored Links
I suppose it would be possible but I don't fancy trying to re-terminate the 50+ yr old MICC (guessing the age based on fuse marked 1953) even if I had the tools to do it . . . would be better off running new swa (which I have seen done in a similar situation) but really I don't want to be messing with the supply until it is on the customers side!

Apologies - from the photo it looked like it might have already had a threaded pot on it that you could just put a nut on.

What's the route like to the consumer unit? Hopefully no concrete floors to get through :mad:

Has anybody got a a photo of the inside of similar aged isolator and wooden box Fuseholder?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back