Physics Puzzle

Sponsored Links
Crockett wrote

It won't take off, following the OP's original question.

Complete tripe.
Once the engines provide thrust it then becomes totally irrelevant what the wheels are doing in relation to the conveyor.
If the wheels from standstill to take off revolve at say an average of 1500 rpm without a conveyor then add a conveyor and the wheels will revolve at a much higher rpm depending on the rpm of the conveyor.

Obviously there are a lot of clever people trying to correctly answer this poser,

Off which you are obviously not one. :rolleyes:

but the plane needs airspeed over and under its wings to lift its bulk off the ground.

Which it will have once the engines provide thrust.

If the conveyor can keep up with the thrust of the engines,

Which is impossible. Increase the conveyor speed as much as you like and you will only increase the wheel rpm.
It's simple really.

then the plane will just make a lot of noise / heat etc. and not much else.

A bit like the noise you are making. lol :LOL:

The plane cannot travel farther than the turn of the wheel, unless it's plaining or skidding.

And the storm is getting quite bad so I'm logging off in a minute :rolleyes:
but thats the whole point it is skidding internally

The plane doesn't skid during take off it rolls, or rolling as we tell the control tower
not the plane, the axle inside the wheel is skidding

So the axle is turning but not the wheels :eek:

Complete tripe.
Once the engines provide thrust it then becomes totally irrelevant what the wheels are doing in relation to the conveyor.
If the wheels from standstill to take off revolve at say an average of 1500 rpm without a conveyor then add a conveyor and the wheels will revolve at a much higher rpm depending on the rpm of the conveyor.

The wheels have to turn balski or the plane don't go forward

but the plane needs airspeed over and under its wings to lift its bulk off the ground.

Which it will have once the engines provide thrust.

Not if the no forward movement balski.

If the conveyor can keep up with the thrust of the engines,

Which is impossible. Increase the conveyor speed as much as you like and you will only increase the wheel rpm.
It's simple really.

Very simple balski it doesn't matter if its impossible or not, the plane is stalled and not going anywhere.

Sponsored Links
Lets do away with the wheels to make it easy for you guys, and add ski's

The plane is sitting on the conveyor doing 100mph backwards, ok so far :LOL:

I start the engines and apply thrust, and eventually I should be able to stop the plane going backwards still ok with that :LOL: so far I'm using all the engines energy just to hold my position.

Ok now the tricky part, the conveyor speeds up and so I need to apply more thrust to hold my position, an so on, the more thrust the faster the conveyor goes which neutralizes the thrust.

The conveyor could be doing a 1000mph, and if you looked at the speedo in the cockpit it would record a 1000 mph, but the plane is stationary.
Stationary plane = no wind speed, no lift, and no flight.

A guy put a plane on the top of a lorry, and drove at 100mph and the plane took off, even though the instruments said the plane wasn't rolling

Lets say you had a toy plane in your hand with frictionless bearings on the wheels. If you stood at the side of an exceptionally fast conveyor belt travelling from left to right, do you not think that you would be able to hold the plane in your right hand, touch the wheels down on the conveyor belt and move the plane from right to left?

Is this a good time to ask how fast the conveyor belt is actually moving? A passing (alien) astronaut might observe it moving at 67,000 mph - sideways! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Why is the plane going backwards with no friction between the ski's and the runway?? do you understand the concept of friction?

Why is the plane going backwards with no friction between the ski's and the runway?? do you understand the concept of friction?

Because that is the speed of the conveyor, anything on it will be doing the same speed, and there's no friction because contact with the belt is static

Because that is the speed of the conveyor, anything on it will be doing the same speed, and there's no friction because contact with the belt is static
how do you have contact without friction? the plane is floating not in contact due to the frictionless ski's

how do you have contact without friction? the plane is floating not in contact due to the frictionless ski's

The plane is not floating its parked on the surface, no different to being on the back of a lorry going up the M1

Sponsored Links
Back