Plug sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have a bit of an issue with my plug sockets. I am having my conservatory replaced and this led to the installers using an extension lead for a socket in my lounge. They plugged into a higher voltage battery to use their tools.
Anyway when they unpluged there equipment this caused 3 out of the 5 plug sockets in my lounge to just stop working ! It did not trip the fuse box and this has all been reset to no avail. All other power sockets and lights are working fine.
Anyone have any suggestions as to what has gone wrong very confused
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Ok, let's get a couple of things cleared up. Firstly, they're called sockets, the word plug in plug sockets is completely redundant when speaking in context. Secondly, what you refer to as a "higher voltage battery" was probably a transformer.

Have the conservatory fitters installed any new sockets or moved/removed ones that were fitted in the old conservatory? If so, their work on the electrical installation would be my first suspect. Failing that, have they been drilling any holes through the walls that might have potentially damaged a cable?

Of course, it may be something simple such as a loose connection behind the socket, which has been exaggerated by large loads on the circuit that aren't normally present. That said, for any sockets to stop working would usually require two faults assuming the typical ring final circuit, so it may be prudent for you to call in an electrician to have a proper check over the installation.

See if there is a 13 amp fused spur unit somewhere, perhaps in the room, that feeds these sockets. The fuse may have blown.

By fused spur unit, I mean a square plate with a little drawer containing a fuse.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply and sorry for the incorrect terms used, they havent drilled any holes or fitted any sockets.
I have had a look for a fused spur unit and there isnt one.

What's so wrong with the term 'plug socket'?

I know what the op meant.

It's not like he/she called them 'plugs', which is really incorrect.

It's just unnecessary to attack the DIYers and home owners who cannot be expected to speak perfect English. I don't expect these DIYers to come out with the exact terminology, only to make themselves reasonably clear - which the op did.

We all know what the op meant.

Back to the problem, if you can't find a fused spur, and all trip switches and fuses are ok, then the best thing to do would be to contact the conservatory company so they can send their electrician round.

It's just unnecessary to attack the DIYers and home owners who cannot be expected to speak perfect English. I don't expect these DIYers to come out with the exact terminology, only to make themselves reasonably clear - which the op did.

We all know what the op meant.

I wasn't aware education was considered assault these days. Assault on ignorance maybe?

We may all know what he meant, but that doesn't mean he doesn't need to be educated.

Perhaps you'd be happier if he/she was so clued up that they didn't even have to ask a question.

What have I started?

All the plug socket debate aside, as you've not altered any wiring and don't suspect the conservatory company of having done so either, this seems to be the best advice on the table:

Back to the problem, if you can't find a fused spur, and all trip switches and fuses are ok, then the best thing to do would be to contact the conservatory company so they can send their electrician round.

Of course, you could isolate the installation and then remove a few sockets in the living room and check for loose connections at the rear, but if this is an old installation and a ring final circuit, it sounds as if you may already have other pre-existing faults that really need to be rectified as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back