Plumber safely in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My next door neighbour is having a boiler fitted in the loft area and asked me if I could put down some flooring and handrail for the plumber safely. I want to do this correctly and are these from corgi regulations regarding this or is it under building regs as I can't see it anywhere online stating this. Do you know or doesn't it matter how I plan to do this?

I've got this in my head remembering I've read this somewhere

Sponsored Links
The new regs state that any new boiler in the loft has to have some sort of cage around it to stop anything in the loft from falling onto it as well :confused:

Thanks and oh dear :!:
gazthepottertonengineer said:
The new regs state that any new boiler in the loft has to have some sort of cage around it to stop anything in the loft from falling onto it as well :confused:
Is this down to the plumber to put a cage over it?

Any pointer about handrail/floor etc?

Thanks

yes it is down to the corgi installer to put all these things in place and as far as the boarding and hand rail goes as long as its safe it will be ok :D

Sponsored Links
The handrail is primarily required around the loft hatch but technically should go all the way to the boiler but rarely does.

The flooring should be a reasonable path width, perhaps 900 or 1200 wide.

Fixed lighting is also required as well as a fitted loft ladder which can be retractable.

Its also good practice to have a mains isolation switch on the inhabited floor and I would also fit a pressure gauge and filling loop there too.

Tony

The "cage around the boiler" thing is one of those where I for one would use a bucket of common sense - and not much more than a couple of bits of ply! I'm sure there are some who would build a wire mesh cage round a boiler in an empty loft...
It does make it easier to protect the beast from frost if it's enclosed, of course.

Did have to do one Landlord's Inspection while straddling a loft hatch - duly noted on the papers in big letters.

we arent allowed to get into a loft if it hasnt got loft ladder and boarded out properly upsets a few customers especially when its -10 outside :LOL:

Thanks lads, interesting.

Would it be down to me if the plumber have an accident after I made the walkway etc?

How do I stand?

I do a couple of thousand visits a year and I have never seen a handrail though I do remember it being discussed a couple of years ago.....would be nice though

When did the cage around the boiler lark come in? Which bulletin have I missed this time?

CCN1 or CEN1

Or dont you bother with such mundane things in foreign countries???

When I took ACS four years ago, only lighting, walkway and handrails were mentioned. No cage.

Oops, sorry, too much Dumisani tonight !

I have heard of the necessity of a cage around, or on top of, a boiler in an airing cupboard.

I dont think thats its covered by Statute yet. Just good practice!

I think that this is an extension of that thinking. In this world British Gas bring in their own regulations and CORGI require it shortly afterwards.

Tail wagging the dog???

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back