power at the switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i went with an electrician to gain experience and he mentioned that all lights were powered at the switch.

im struggling to understand this and was wondering if anyone could explain how etc

cheers

Sponsored Links
I was told a similar thing but it was Power always goes to the switch. In other words always take the power to and from the switch, the neutral does not connect to the switch it goes to the fitting

saw it with downlights, they were connected at switch at com and l1 both had brown cable then the neutrals were in a connector block in the back of the box.

Sponsored Links
saw it with downlights, they were connected at switch at com and l1 both had brown cable then the neutrals were in a connector block in the back of the box.

That sounds like loop in/out at the switch plate then. Advice like "all lights were powered at the switch" really isn't very concise and makes little sense. You'd be better off observing how circuits function for yourself, as you're more likely to remember how things work if you figure them out for yourself rather than just being told.

Still ok the power has gone to the switch the neutrals were connected in this case in a connector block NOT in the switch.

i went with an electrician to gain experience and he mentioned that all lights were powered at the switch.

im struggling to understand this and was wondering if anyone could explain how etc
Seriously Ian - you should be spending your time studying circuit design principles, not trying to gain experience just yet.

Seriously Ian - you should be spending your time studying circuit design principles, not trying to gain experience just yet.

Take no notice of this silly advice, get out as often as you can. Hands on experience is always helpful.

You need both.

If you are learning you will do as you are told at work, and observe.

At home you can refer to text-books and diagrams like those found on here, where it may all start to make a bit more sense.

I don't know if you have college books, from memory they tend to show circuit diagrams, rather than a wiring diagram that actually shows each twin and earth cable, and where each core goes. It may be the case that this latter diagram would help you more.

Diagrams found on this site should provide excellent help.

Thanks DIYDANDY. I believe you learn more doing hands on experience than sitting looking at textbooks etc
Only if the work you are doing is correctly supervised. From what you have said about the guy you're working with, he doesn't seem to know a lot about what he does for a living.
(But I may be being unfair to him - it might just be your understanding of what you think he said.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back