Problems in the NHS

I've never encountered a rude docs receptionist. But then am always friendly to them and ask em how they are when I first approach.. a little politeness goes a long way in my experience.

Sponsored Links
patients should be seen as customers
Bojo no doubt has a plan to make patients eventually become 'paying customers'* when he does that 'wonderful trade deal' with the US...

*In that it'll end up being 'can't pay, no treatment'! (n)

I've never encountered a rude docs receptionist. But then am always friendly to them and ask em how they are when I first approach.. a little politeness goes a long way in my experience.
That applies to all walks of life...

Something some of the moaners on here don't quite get!

Sponsored Links
Foreigners coming to the UK should be required to have their own health insurance for the duration of their stay.
I go on holiday abroad I always make sure I have adequate insurance to cover all eventualities including repatriation.
It would be unfair for foreigners who work in the UK to be required to pay the same taxes as British workers but then be denied access to the same services and benefits enjoyed by British workers.
One solution could be to require foreign workers to have their own health insurance for which they could claim tax relief to cover the cost.

I've always subscribed to the fact that the NHS is abused by people from overseas taking advantage, it's silly to pretend otherwise, it happens.

I also am aware that the elderly are becoming more and more of a drain on the NHS (and the care system).

I've also heard of two cases (friends or family, so there are doubtless thousands throughout the country) where babies have been born with catastrophic defects/illnesses requiring operations and lifelong care.

The bottom line is that 30 years ago, poorer people from overseas wouldn't have had the wherewithal to travel halfway across the world for free medical treatment, 20 years ago older people would have died earlier because medical advances that exist now weren't there then, and ten years ago those poor babies would have been stillborn.

It's fantastic that these advances in medicine have been achieved but can a 5% annual increases in the NHS budget cover it? of course it can't, the figure required is simply unimaginable. That, I suspect is the very sad reality to which there is no solution.

You live in BS Land. As usual you equate foreigners using the NHS as equal to older people. No it's not. How many BS myths do you have.

Elderly are not a drain. No more than saying car users are a drain on the petroleum industry.

So now your anecdotale evidence can be backed up?

No one has a perfect healthcare service, some are more efficient than others but there is none more cost effective as the NHS currently doesn't have to waste money in marketing its services or people waste time in selecting their GP etc. Making it a market will only add to the costs not reduce them as vast majority of people have no clue how markets actually operate. So I agree with Cummings on one point - we need more economists in Government.

I think any rudeness from some doctors' reception staff is as much from their perception that they can be, and get away with it. Anything coming back the other way is subject to threat of barring, or even criminal sanction. Which is fine, but respect is a two - way street, and patients should be seen as customers, not as inconveniences.

I disagree patients should not be seen as customers. Reception Staff are rude probably because everyone is on edge, can't get appointments, staff are over worked, many patients bring in their kids with a cold when not needed.

If people think things are bad in this country they should have a good look at America.
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/middl...sing-health-insurance-costs/story?id=67131097
On the other hand Donald Trump is organising a nice little war faraway to to take your mind off your problems.

Like the gasbanis on here care. If it means that I and everyone I love will die but it could possibly stop one health tourist then the cost is worth it.

They will buy the BS that the only way to stop health tourists (for them by far and away the biggest issues when it incidently is not) is to end the NHS, they will accept it. Their rage and idiocy is simply too easy to take advantage of.

PSDT_08.19.19_highered-00-01.png

There you go Republicans do not value education.

You live in BS Land. As usual you equate foreigners using the NHS as equal to older people. No it's not. How many BS myths do you have.

I've cited ,3 separate things that have a negative impact on the NHS, I've not stated figures because like anyone on here, I don't know and won't pretend otherwise, unlike some on here.
So, can you show me where I've said the impact of health tourism is equal to the impact of an ageing population.
Do you have to resort to lies to attempt making a point?

Elderly are not a drain.

Until they become chronically ill and require full time care it would appear.

No one has a perfect healthcare service, some are more efficient than others but there is none more cost effective as the NHS currently doesn't have to waste money in marketing its services or people waste time in selecting their GP etc.

From what I've read Cuba could be the world leader.

As for the Americans, they are against what they call Obamacare but for the Affordable Care Act, not realising that they are the same thing.

You may very well think that Americans are thick, but I couldn't possibly comment - nor note that it is the same in Britain, the majority believing whatever they want to believe.

Foreigners coming to the UK should be required to have their own health insurance for the duration of their stay.
I go on holiday abroad I always make sure I have adequate insurance to cover all eventualities including repatriation.
It would be unfair for foreigners who work in the UK to be required to pay the same taxes as British workers but then be denied access to the same services and benefits enjoyed by British workers.
One solution could be to require foreign workers to have their own health insurance for which they could claim tax relief to cover the cost.
You do realise that non EU/EEA foreign workers already have to pay an NHS surcharge, don't you?

A surcharge that is about to increase massively and will apply to those who currently enjoy the EHIC scheme...

Including millions of UK citizens who will now fork out even more to work/study/travel in the EU/EEA given inevitable reciprocal agreements, and in many cases it will be more than their yearly EU 'subscription' for that one thing alone!

Quitters truly don't understand the consequences of their petulance, but worse than the economics is that isolationalism will hurt the UK disproportionately!

Because unlike the UK, the people of the remaining EU/EEA countries will still have plenty of other options!

I think any rudeness from some doctors' reception staff is as much from their perception that they can be, and get away with it. Anything coming back the other way is subject to threat of barring, or even criminal sanction. Which is fine, but respect is a two - way street, and patients should be seen as customers, not as inconveniences.

I was saying it tongue in cheek -the problem is that frontline staff are screeners -the NHS are overstretched so the first point of contact try to make access to the system difficult.

this book on the day system is crazy -its designed to prevent exceeding waiting times etc.

Sponsored Links
Back