Problems in the NHS

Sponsored Links
And the elderly have worked all their life and paid tax & nat insurance....
Not automatically enough to pay for what they're taking out. And not all of them have worked and paid into the NHS for all that time, some of those older ones will have started their working lives not paying NI. When the NHS started off all these fancy chemo drugs didn't exist. They didn't pay for their parents to have this level of service.

So based on your argument should we be cutting them off now to make up for it?

Sillyness asside we don't pay much for the NHS and get really good value for money. I, and a decent proportion of the country, would be happy paying a bit more for better service.

Not automatically enough to pay for what they're taking out. And not all of them have worked and paid into the NHS for all that time, some of those older ones will have started their working lives not paying NI. When the NHS started off all these fancy chemo drugs didn't exist. They didn't pay for their parents to have this level of service.

So based on your argument should we be cutting them off now to make up for it?

Sillyness asside we don't pay much for the NHS and get really good value for money. I, and a decent proportion of the country, would be happy paying a bit more for better service.
No, it's not me who thinks the elderly are a drain, nor think they don't deserve help via the NHS.
Yep, quite happy to pay more tax myself too.

Stick a TV camera in every one's face and ask them would u pay more taxes for the NHS

And pretty much every one or all will say yes?

Now get em to vote for it and see if u get the same result :idea:

Sponsored Links
No, it's not me who thinks the elderly are a drain, nor think they don't deserve help via the NHS.
Yep, quite happy to pay more tax myself too.
My point was the 'they paid for it' is a bit of a crap argument.

For example I don't care if someone has legally immigrated to the country in their later years, so not having paid NI or tax, if they need care then they should get it. I suspect you probably mostly agree on that point too.

My point was the 'they paid for it' is a bit of a crap argument.

For example I don't care if someone has legally immigrated to the country in their later years, so not having paid NI or tax, if they need care then they should get it. I suspect you probably mostly agree on that point too.
A crap argument in your opinion, to me it was a perfect response to the person I was talking to, calling people a drain. People HAVE paid for it and even those who didn't (such as disabled, full-time mothers) still are part of the UK and deserve to be protected - this is what the NHS stood for - to bring healthcare to all..

I don't see these people as a 'drain'. I think that's a terrible way to talk about our elderly population to be honest. Sure, they cost a large chunk of the NHS at the moment but that's not just because they're sick. That's because social care has become almost non-existent and the hospitals (and the police) are now stepping in when they didn't use to, thanks to gov cutbacks.

And no, I don't care if someone legally immigrated to the country because they need care in their later years. It's actually now quite a hard thing to do anyway since the rules changed.

A crap argument in your opinion, to me it was a perfect response to the person I was talking to, calling people a drain. People HAVE paid for it and even those who didn't (such as disabled, full-time mothers) still are part of the UK and deserve to be protected - this is what the NHS stood for - to bring healthcare to all..

I don't see these people as a 'drain'. I think that's a terrible way to talk about our elderly population to be honest. Sure, they cost a large chunk of the NHS at the moment but that's not just because they're sick. That's because social care has become almost non-existent and the hospitals (and the police) are now stepping in when they didn't use to, thanks to gov cutbacks.

And no, I don't care if someone legally immigrated to the country because they need care in their later years. It's actually now quite a hard thing to do anyway since the rules changed.
It's a crap argument because it contradicts what you, and I, believe. If it's ok for someone to get care because they paid for it then logically it's saying that anyone who hasn't paid for it shouldn't get it, unless there's another reason they should. So far we haven't disagreed on who should get care just the logic and rules behind it.

A better argument would be that we should provide care because it's the right thing to do and we'd like and expect others to do the same for us when we get old/sick. That probably covers all of it without needing to mention if they've paid in or not.

It's a crap argument because it contradicts what you, and I, believe. If it's ok for someone to get care because they paid for it then logically it's saying that anyone who hasn't paid for it shouldn't get it, unless there's another reason they should. So far we haven't disagreed on who should get care just the logic and rules behind it.

A better argument would be that we should provide care because it's the right thing to do and we'd like and expect others to do the same for us when we get old/sick. That probably covers all of it without needing to mention if they've paid in or not.
I don't think you really get the type of person who I was replying to when you joined in.
But that's fine, think what you like :)

What about those that illegally immigrate to this country because they need care in their later years?
All four of them? There was the American that was dropped off here because they couldn't afford to take care of them, so maybe five...

There’s nothing to stop you making a voluntary donation directly to the nhs or your local hospital is there?
No, same for everyone. But what has that got to do with anything? You've made no contribution to this discussion.

What about those that illegally immigrate to this country because they need care in their later years?
Let me know how many illegal immigrants are able to register with a GP.

There you go. So what numbers we talking about?

Glue sniffing and DM turns your brain to mush.

Sponsored Links
Back