Professional disasters

your right luke I did fail to call the trade idiots bungling probably cos I dont think bungling goes far enough

anyone who declares themselves as a professional in that they exchange their skills for money and doesnt deliver is worse than bungling, far far worse

Sponsored Links
You get what you pay for... People want to pay peanuts and so often get monkeys!!!

Sponsored Links
My parents live in a top floor tenement flat in Glasgow the roof has leaked on and off ever since they lived there (about 20 years) and they have has various people up to fix slipped tiles etc. About a year ago it was reroofed. During the last big storm the dreaded drips started again. They phoned the roofers, who to give them their dues came straight up. They ‘fixed’ the drips and left. About a month later after heavy rain parents notice that their ceiling is bowing in the back bedroom. My dad goes up into the loft and finds out that the roofers, instead of fixing the leaks have placed an old bath under the drips. The bath is now full to over flowing so my dad has to bale it out by hand. Of course the roofers are denying anything. Still trying to get it fixed six weeks later!

Does anyone else agree with me - that the "pros" have disasters as well? In fact I would go further - a serious DIYer does not usually have time restraints (money issues), takes great care over regulations, and takes a pride in his/her standard of workmanship. Some of these are missing from the pros. Not that there are many "good" pros out there but DIYers shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush as being universally incompetant. Lets have a section on "Professional trade disasters".

lukewarmbath
you talk utter rubbish most diyers are working too money restraint buying the cheapest materails available avoid paying a professional usually nagged by wife to get said job completed another bitter failed plumber who can only slag off trades cos he feels inadaquete

Peekay, its you that is talking utter rubbish.

As a DIY'r I take time over my DIY to get it right, I purchase materials fit for the job. The same materials that a tradesman will purchase and charge me more for. I do what I do considering everything but the one thing that is low in my consideration it time, if a job last 2 days instead of 1 then its not a problem as my time is not costing me any more.
I dont rush a job because the end of the day is near.

Many, many other DIY'rs do this also.

We don't all get our materials from Poundland!

On the other hand, a so called tradesman........pfft!

Peekay, its you that is talking utter rubbish.

As a DIY'r I take time over my DIY to get it right, I purchase materials fit for the job. The same materials that a tradesman will purchase and charge me more for. I do what I do considering everything but the one thing that is low in my consideration it time, if a job last 2 days instead of 1 then its not a problem as my time is not costing me any more.
I dont rush a job because the end of the day is near.

Many, many other DIY'rs do this also.

We don't all get our materials from Poundland!

On the other hand, a so called tradesman........pfft!
well nice to hear one of you clowns does not come crying looking for a tradesman to finish your cock ups so do you do your own electrics and gas work or do you pay a competent person to carry out the work so what work diy or other do you carry out and how does your other half feel about you taking as long as it takes to do your perfect diy living in **** and dust for weeks on end you live in cloud cuckoo land its not cheaper its a lot more stressful so what the hell do you do it for

peekay53

What have I cocked up peekay?
You now absolutely nothing about what I have done or how I have done it.

You seem to forget that before someone became a tradesman they will have been a DIY'r in some form or other.

A DIY'r is not necessarily less informed or worse at doing what they do just because they do not get paid for it. All that we do is not a disaster.

While there are those that seriously have not got a clue and make a mess of DIY there are still thousands of able bodied DIY'rs that do a better job than some of the so called professionals.

As can often be seen by the various discussions here and elsewhere.

Yes there are DIY'rs that make a mess, yes there are professionals that also make a mess.

There is however no need to start getting insulting about it.
NO need to call everyone a clown etc.

Heck, your only a flipping plumber! thats not hard to do so you have no room to talk :D :D

well if plumbing gas fitting is so easy why dont you give it a go lets see if you tranfer you obvious diy talents to making a living a little bit harder when paying your bills depends on it and you obviously pay your bills not working in the building or you would have answered when i asked how you earn your living.
If like me you have worked in the building trade since your were a lad you would not decry any tradesman who has put in the years also there are a minority of tradesmen who are dog rough but why should they give us all a bad name if you want a tradesman go and see his last couple of jobs ask to speak to clients if he has nothing to hide he wont object and then hire him to do job dont go out looking for cheapest quote cos you will end up getting ripped anyone got to go jobs to botch and scamming to do

Why would I want a tradesman when I DIY work?

When did I say anything about DIY of gas fittings?

Who said anything about getting the cheapest quote?

You have this assumption and are tarring all DIY with the same brush.

As for
you would not decry any tradesman who has put in the years
who did that?

Its the cowboys of which there is an ever increasing number these days that cause many of us to do stuff ourself.

As for seeing recent jobs, that's very hard to do as people are not always willing to become involved in getting a tradesman another job and show a complete stranger around their home.

See here //www.diynot.com/forums/diy-disasters/problems-with-the-builders.312546/
Are you overworked and in need of a good holiday or perhaps underworked and finding things a bit hard so your stressed?

when i feel stressed i always come on these sites and wind up the knobs who hang around on here trying to be superior but failing miserably cheers me up no end i have done my duty for now but as arnie always says " ill be back" hasta la vista knobhead

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back