Random facts

When they built the tower blocks at the Police Training School at Hendon, north London, the late 60's I think, they found that when they had nearly finished building to height, they had actually assembled the building around a crane, and then had to reduce the height again to get it out.

Sponsored Links
The Terson's Tower Crane, up the lift shaft at 'Tower House' central Bristol removal:- Boom lowered / dropped onto completed roof, sectioned and together with tower sections from lift shaft the lot lowered from roof I think 14 or 15 floors ... A summer of fun !!
SiteAgent used to return to site from local pub Friday afternoons and regularly 'sack' everyone on the spot !!
Good old Bob C the general 4man from Shepton Mallett would calm the situation and reinstate everyone !!
One morning, with misted windows partially open .. forty guys watched a secretary in the adjacent office block putting her tights on .. when done, all windows wide and guys offer a huge ovation ... She went beacon red, never opened the blinds again !! ... her friends fell about laughing !!
P

They can be attatched to buildings and they can self erect and go up with each level of the building. Also someone said about the movement. You get used to it, but you do feel it. The tallest free standing one is in Norway on one of the fjords around (estimate) 600ft i think. In this country (freestanding) on the ground, between 200 and 280 ft

One very irate crane driver !!
Tower crane mounted on rail track to enable service of a wide site.
A concrete gang, made up of our friends from Ireland, crane 'trolleyed' out to jib limit, skip of concrete 18 ins off ground, needs to be 5 or 6ft further away from crane which is swaying a lot ... gang seize skip and 'horse' it out to the 'pile' hole ... crane klaxon blaring .. I am near the tracks watching the bogies at one end actually lifting .... A quick hoist and 'trolley in' did the trick ... Several dangerous maneuvers there !!
The crane driver was using remote handset, the pulling began whilst he was moving to a better position on the scaffolding platform ... ;)

P

Sponsored Links
did the same on a rail mounted crane except it wasn't remote, i was at the top with warning horns a sounding!!........makes you feel alive :evil: :evil: ..... he who dares rodney

pipme said:
Those who dare ... probably die young !!

And in the shape of a large pancake if they happened to fall from a 200-foot TC!

Pancake??.......did you say pancake??? ok how many eggs are in the worlds largest pancake

All togetha nah .. one at a time !! to the tune of 'John Brown's Body'

Our Sergeant major jumped from forty 'fasand feet,
And he aint gonna jump no more !!
We scraped him orf the tarmac like a lump of strawberry jam,
Glory,glory what a helluva way to die !

We sang this with gusto at the battle of Brockely Combe !!

Ahh the battle of brockley coombe............. billy smith lost an eye when jimmy tibbits threw a stone at him

is that THE star inn where you know who got hit by doobery flip............................they both drove cranes as well...............same site as me in fact :eek: :confused: :cool:

Sponsored Links
Back