Random facts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I read about the UN model of world population this evening. Their worst case scenario is that the world will have 134 TRILLION inhabitants by 2300, in theory (note IN THEORY!). :eek:

So, I was thinking, what does that make for land area per person? Well, I have done a bit of looking into things and uncovered some other random stuff whilst I was doing it. Note that any comparisons were produced by my overactive mind (I should write those "did you know" books!)

1) Presuming 134 trillion people in 2300 (assuming that Zephryn Cochraine doesn't make his historic flight allow us to fly to other planets in a Star Trek "Warp speed" type fashion): the earth has a total land area of 57.5 million square miles.

57.5 million / 134 trillion = 4.3 x 10^-7 square miles each.

That is 12 square feet. Per person. For growing food, sleeping in, working in, standing about in. Assuming a uniform distribution (i.e. not like now where Europe has twice as many people as the North American continent but a fraction of the area)

2) The Earth's human population has increased by 1 billion people every 14 years since 1960. That's more than the population of the UK every year!

3) Total land area covered by roads and car parks in the US = 61,465 square miles. Total land area of the UK = 93278 square miles (not including water areas). Thus, the area covered by roads and car parks in the US is equivalent to 66% of the UK's total land area! Note that I didn't include driveways in my calculation. ;)

Sponsored Links
Another useless piece of information I once learned from Open University was:
If the trend over the last 20 years continues, by the year 2010, 1 person in every 4 on the planet will be a professional Elvis Presly impersonator!
Some trends are just bound to change.

I bl**dy hope so anyway. I weren't keen on the original. :)

At present in London 1584 sq km, there are 7.2 m people

I make that : 8.5 x 10-5 people per sq mile

2368 sq feet per person. Loadsa space.

But its still crowded!

I reckon by 2300 we'd have more reclaimed land from the sea than we have now and possibly into other planets???

But who says we'll survive until 2300 - Isn't the end of the world pretty soon (re: Nostradamus)

Nostradamus predicted the end of the world in the summer of 1995 as well. Don't you remember, it was really hot that year and The Sun (soft, strong and thoroughly absorbent) made a big point of it in between informative, witty and high-brow headlines such as "Phwoar what a scorcher". :LOL:

When they give the figures for London population, I am never sure if they mean Greater London, or proper London (i.e. the City of London and the City of Westminster). So if it is 7.2m in greater London (I suspect it is, probably "only" 3-4 million in the centre), that would explain it: lots of space around the suburbs, big crowding in the city bits.

2368 square feet per person really isn't a lot! About 49 feet by 49 feet... Thank goodness for high-rise buildings! Multiply the 2368 square feet by however many people live in one (say, 1500) and that leaves quite a bit left over for parks and breathing space.

If my Year 7 Geography stands me in good stead, the population of London pre-WW2 was actually a bit bigger than it is now. Nearly 9 million people. There was the same amount of land, but they didn't have high-rise buildings to the same extent (10 storey mansion blocks, but no Peckham Heights). :eek:

Sponsored Links
the oceans are still waiting to be exploited yet, the japanese are already planning a city built in the sea.

kendor said:
the oceans are still waiting to be exploited yet, the japanese are already planning a city built in the sea

Now you try getting planning permission for that over here :LOL:

there's a nice little place overhanging the sea going for sale in Brighton i hear? :) not quite got it right in Cornwall yet though.

pipme said:
Water supplies may be the key !!
'Indians are already fighting Indians for enough to drink'

Read this
The 'water mafia' draining India

Taps running dry
:eek:
P

Pretty shocking stuff. Perhaps instead of investing in a space race and nuclear arms race against Pakistan and China, they should spend some of those billions on programmes to sort out their water... maybe even buy it in from neighbouring countries with too much.

I bet the government officials have fountains, power showers and swimming pools...

kendor said:
the oceans are still waiting to be exploited yet, the japanese are already planning a city built in the sea.

Kansai airport (in Japan) was built on an artificial island. http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/english/ Looking at the photo gallery, they even appear to have grass growing on it!

If I recall Blue Peter they demolished a mountain and dumped it into the sea! Kobe airport (also in Japan) is being built on an artificial island.

Also, the Burj Al Arab hotel was built on an artificial island, albeit about a thousandth the size of the Kansai airport one.

So, with all this experience building a small city at sea should be fine (Heathrow has been compared to a city)... either that or they will decide it is too expensive!

kendor said:
not quite got it right in Cornwall yet though.

As the subject is water, are you referring to Camelford or Boscastle?

Aren't the UAE planning to build a whole world in the sea for rich folk to buy their own country.

For a few million I think you are allowed to buy the UK.....

waran said:
Aren't the UAE planning to build a whole world in the sea for rich folk to buy their own country.

For a few million I think you are allowed to buy the UK.....

Seriously?! That is cool! Although I bet the environmental impact would be severe. How much oil would be burned by all the construction equipment to build an island?! Also the effects on sea currents might cause pollution build up.

How much does a natural, typical habitable tropical island (perhaps in the Pacific) sell for nowadays? One with fresh water would be nice, but I am sure I could have it shipped in. :D I have heard of people leasing them for a few years, but it would be nice to have a goal to save towards. If it is £10m or so then some hard work and shrewd investment might get you there by retirement!

Tell you what, when I buy my island you can all come and stay for a bit! I wouldn't start buying your sunblock just yet... :LOL:

Just thought I'd look it up:

http://www.theworld.ae/theworld/theworld.html

the u.k. will be 9.88 acres and you could build whatever you liked on it. And there would be no planning permission/building regs I would have thought.

Downside Adam is that prices at the World start at $11million and I doubt that gets you very much.

I'm not sure what sort of pay you get in your job but unless you're a plumber I reckon it's a bit of wishful thinking :cry: . Pity really!

Sponsored Links
Back