Random facts

Another interesting fact.....as of 2003 there were 2,500 Tower Crane operators in the UK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now that's interesting :evil:

Sponsored Links
What's the average height of a tower crane? I am informed that the maximum unsupported height is 80m, but it can be greater if attached to the building that it is building.

So, let's take 80m as our figure.

80 x 2500 = 200,000m = 200km

Now, the official boundary of space is 100km. Thus, if all the tower crane operators in the country stood their cranes on top of each other, they would reach space AND BACK! :eek:

I read the news today, oh boy. 2000 holes in Blackburn, Lancs. Although the holes were rather small, they had to count them all. Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall! :eek:

AdamW said:
I read the news today, oh boy. 2000 holes in Blackburn, Lancs. Although the holes were rather small, they had to count them all. Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall! :eek:

I love to turn you on.........

This is a bit of a general statement from the beatles...

I mean, it depends how big the holes are as to whether 2K of them would fill the Albert Hall.

My view is that each hole would have to be rather large even for 2000 of them to fill the volume of airspace inside the confines of the hall.

And does that include the vestibule and toilet areas, or just the main auditorium?

It's not just the Beatles that can think under the influence of bend-minding substances........

You have something there: the Albert Hall only seats 7000 people. If you including all that empty air that is a lot of space.

Plus they have built an underground car park in the last few years as part of the renovation project.

Now, the Albert Hall is roughly hemispherical, with an internal diameter of 219 feet. The volume of a sphere is (4/3) x Pi x r^3. A hemisphere is half that.

Thus the volume of the Albert Hall is approximately 2750000 cubic feet.

If those 2000 holes filled it, then each one is 1375 cubic feet. Which is a cube of about 11 feet on each side.

To me, those holes are not "rather small". Pretty big really.

Sponsored Links
Hang on, it was 4000 holes wasn't it. :oops:

So that is 688 cubic feet each.

A cube of 8 feet 10 inches on each side.

AdamW said:
Hang on, it was 4000 holes wasn't it
You're right.
I gather the poor s*d (A Lord, allegedly) that was transporting them from Blackburn down to the Albert Hall, for counting, had an accident, on the way. Apparently something distracted his attention at a busy intersection.

Going back to the tower cranes, if the MAXIMUM freestanding height is 80m we cannot have the average height being 80m now can we??!!:cool:

jasy said:
Going back to the tower cranes, if the MAXIMUM freestanding height is 80m we cannot have the average height being 80m now can we??!!:cool:

Go to London, find a tall building nearing completion, then look how tall the crane doing the lifting is. You will find them greater than 80m. Think about it, there are many buildings of 200m+ in London, and they were built (certainly past the halfway mark) with tower cranes. In fact, the "Shard of Glass" will be the first 300m building in London, indeed Europe, and was originally planned to be 390m :eek:

As I mentioned, they tie them to the side of a building :p

So to answer your question, yes we can! :LOL:

I wouldn't want to be driving these cranes, nearly 1500 feet up!

petronas1_skyscraper_1.jpg

4k. Mais Oui!

So where did I get 2K from? Adam............

securespark said:
4k. Mais Oui!

So where did I get 2K from? Adam............

I was assuming a centre-tap at reality, with a peak-peak potensh-hole difference of 4K. My point of reference was the centre-tap, thus I could see 2K holes in the real universe, and 2K holes in the Walrus' universe (Goo-goo-ga-joob). :D

Yellow matter custard
Dripping from a dead dog's eye

Who says they were on lsd???????

You will not find a free standing crane 300m tall..................... i drive them:cool: :cool: :cool:

You win ;)

What is the tallest they can get a tower crane if they tie it to the building? Obviously 300m is pushing it (1000 feet?!) but surely they can go well over 100m?

I used to work on a tip, we had a guy there who was licenced to drive any plant including tower cranes, he reckoned that you really didn't notice the swaying much when you are up there :eek:

jasy said:
You will not find a free standing crane 300m tall..................... i drive them:cool: :cool: :cool:

Just re-read this: I said freestanding limit is 80m. I'm interested in them being tied to buildings... how tall can they be then?

Can remember 'Tersons' TC .. up the lift shaft ... driver used remote handset (cabled) standing where ever the work was being progressed.
He was still required to go greasing out on the boom though ... good fun when the wind suddenly got up .... for us, watching !!
Riggers seemed accident prone, they dropped the 'boom' onto roof of building during either raising the crane or dismantling .. cannot remember 1963' ish ... disaster if had fallen from 14 stories.

P

Sponsored Links
Back