RCBO Socket anyone?

I cant believe stuff like this is actually being sold!
I can.

Apparently it essential to our way of life, and our freedoms, and our right to burn effigies of religious terrorists that we do nothing to prevent the sale of stuff like that.

would you trust it?
Of course not, but I'm not stupid.

Stupid people are the ones who are expected to pay the price, possibly with their lives, for our way of life, and our freedoms, and our right to burn effigies of religious terrorists.

It is a poor show though that the maker can't even bothered to fake a CE mark.

Sponsored Links
Ground fault current interrupter. American for RCD.

Ahh, thanks :) still would not trust one
Can't see a problem. It's installed and tested with a RCD tester if it passes then why not trust it? You would test any other RCD on installing so no change there. As to MCB well we have 13A fuses so again what is the problem?

Can't see a problem. It's installed and tested with a RCD tester if it passes then why not trust it? You would test any other RCD on installing so no change there. As to MCB well we have 13A fuses so again what is the problem?

Poor quality components, poor build quality, loose internal connections, no real British standards testing.

What you say is fairly rational, but I think the main concern is probably that, because it's ludicrously cheap, something doesn't add up, and that could be reflected in poor reliability, even if it passed initial tests. One problem is that you could probably not effectively IR test it without risking killing it's electronics (a recently discussed). I agree that whether or not the over-current parts works is not really important if one only ever uses it with a fused BS1363 plug - but it is clearly possible to plug non-fused plugs into it.

It will be very interesting to hear what RF finds inside the one he has ordered. I presume, for a start, that the outlets are not shuttered.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I have adaptors without shutters and also battery chargers which would not pass IP ratings as with medication they are not put where children can get them and used with care do the job I want.

OK I would not use in a public building or where children are around but neither do I want to pay over the odds for a simple battery charger.

One has to strike a balance.

I have adaptors without shutters and also battery chargers which would not pass IP ratings as with medication they are not put where children can get them and used with care do the job I want. OK I would not use in a public building or where children are around but neither do I want to pay over the odds for a simple battery charger. One has to strike a balance.
I don't disagree with any of that. However, can you really have much confidence in what should be a pretty complex device at a price of £2.99 (including shipping - presumably including that from China, as well as within the UK - and, presumably, at least two people's 'profit margins')?

You mention medication. If you found a stranger selling paracetamol tablets on eBay (if they would allow it, which I don't think they do!) at a price of £1.50 for 5,000 tablets, would you be happy to buy and swallow them?

Kind Regards, John

The 2.99 is probably an error, the same item is sold by other sellers for £10-£20.

The outlets won't be shuttered in the proper sense, as that style of outlet is designed to accept all kinds of plugs including 2 pin and 2 blade types.
At best it will have a plastic cover behind the holes which is easily moved by inserting any object. Probably won't have any shutter at all.

It's made perfectly clear later in the advert why you should buy one - it's to protect you from "crowning calamity" caused by "famous brand of electric water hotter".

Clearly, if your electric water hotter is made by someone you've never heard of, then you will be quite safe;

It is also used for leakage protection for famous brand of electric water hotter ...
Since the invention of the human and the use of electricity, electricity not only brought to mankind a lot of convenience, but also brought people crowning calamity.

Hey... now that I think about it, do you think it also protects against water leakage from the water hotter, or just electrical leakage? If it covers water, too, then I'm buying one :mrgreen:

You mention medication. If you found a stranger selling paracetamol tablets on eBay (if they would allow it, which I don't think they do!) at a price of £1.50 for 5,000 tablets, would you be happy to buy and swallow them?

Kind Regards, John
No too expensive I live in Wales with free prescription so why pay £1.50

You mention medication. If you found a stranger selling paracetamol tablets on eBay (if they would allow it, which I don't think they do!) at a price of £1.50 for 5,000 tablets, would you be happy to buy and swallow them
No too expensive I live in Wales with free prescription so why pay £1.50
Ah! In that case, the question must change. If you knew that the paracetamol being dispensed (for nothing) by your local pharmacist had been bought from eBay for £1.50 per 5,000, would you be happy to accept and swallow them?

As a matter of interest, do you think that the cost (to the NHS/State) of all these free prescriptions has anything to do with the alleged serious shortcomings of the NHS in Wales?

Kind Regards, John

I bought one - other than the lack of shutters and non standard size it's actually a properly designed unit with good build quality. Definitely an error at that sale price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back