Recessed downlights and fire/electrical safety

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. We've been viewing houses recently and I've noticed that nearly all have recessed downlighters somewhere or other - in some cases just one room but in others they're throughout most of the house. Some are in downstairs ceilings with a room above, others in upstairs ceilings with loft above, but quite a few are in extensions or loft conversions where it's just the roof above.

When we moved into our old house, there were halogen downlights/spotlights upstairs and we found that they'd had loft insulation placed over the top, which had been scorched from the heat of the lights. We were advised to fit fire hoods or at the very least just to put something like a plant pot over to give some clearance, although we ended up swapping the halogens for LEDs anyway, which of course ran a lot cooler.

Now I'm wondering how concerned we should be when viewing houses to buy, especially bearing in mind that we would swap any halogens for LED (and most are already LED anyway). Clearly we can't see how well these lights have been fitted or whether they have a fire hood or similar, and on the few occasions I've asked the estate agent or householder, they generally look blank and say they don't know. Does anyone know if this is something a building survey would usually assess?

Maybe I'm worrying too much about it, but I'm just conscious that in some cases there would be no access to the cavity above the light where there's no floor/loft above, just the roof itself. So potentially a maintenance headache at some point down the line? I also wondered if there's an extra risk with flat roofs which are known to be more prone to leak, as presumably that could present an electrical safety issue where there are lights fitted within the roof structure.

Can anyone share expertise/experience of this please? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
how much difference would it make to you buying the property .... and i would allow for worst condition and that will be work to do , along i guess with a lot of other work .....

would that be a deal breaker ?????
maybe with the list of other things - make an offer based on this as well

possible a lot of electrical may need looking at anyway, depending on age

Just shows what a bad idea downlights are. Strange thing, fashion.
Glad it's not just me that thought that. I've also seen too many that have come loose and dropped down a bit (maybe never installed very well to begin with). Trouble is, the trend seems to have spread like... er... wildfire.

Sponsored Links
how much difference would it make to you buying the property .... and i would allow for worst condition and that will be work to do , along i guess with a lot of other work .....

would that be a deal breaker ?????
maybe with the list of other things - make an offer based on this as well

possible a lot of electrical may need looking at anyway, depending on age
Seems unlikely that it would be a deal breaker (too difficult as it is finding somewhere that meets our requirements!) but having said that I don't like the thought of it being unsafe and having no option but to get the darn things removed (or take the roof off to fit fire hoods! :ROFLMAO:).

Yes we could maybe negotiate on price with this as a factor, but people seem so oblivious to the issue that they might just think we're taking the p---. :confused:

Very few LED downlights are suitable for being covered by insulation. They will be marked if they are. Collingwood H2 Lites are one of the very few I can think of which are suitable.

take the roof off to fit fire hoods
Fire hoods are not there to allow insulation or anything else to be placed over the the lights and they won't prevent lights from overheating and failing.

Their purpose is to limit the spread of fire when the room below is filled with flames. Separate hoods are rarely a suitable choice - fire rated downlights are a far better option. However they don't allow insulation to be piled over them either, unless they are specifically designed for that (most are not).

a building survey
Home surveys usually cover as little as possible and will be filled with disclaimers suggesting to get other people in to inspect the electrical, plumbing, drains, roof and most everything else.

Maybe I'm worrying too much about it,
Probably - given the ubiquity of them, if they were a high risk of failure then you would have seen several smouldering holes in the ceiling already, right?
I can't stand them either and am baffled at how common they are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back