Recommend 35mm gu10 led lamps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi I am looking to change the living room lamps from 12v to gu10 leds and was looking for any recommendations as to which to go for, atm I have 10 35w lamps although they are very rarely on as I have a couple of lamps I use if it makes any difference
Thanks

Sponsored Links
hi I am looking to change the living room lamps from 12v to gu10 leds and was looking for any recommendations as to which to go for
None?

Does having 10 lights perhaps hint that they aren't very good at lighting up rooms? If they were, you wouldn't need 10.

As you're going to be changing the fittings anyway, not just swapping bulbs, maybe now is the time to change the type of lights to ones fit for purpose.

3W is about the limit for a GU10 lamp with direct lighting, yes you can buy 7W but unless aimed at a white wall an you use the reflected light, then most of the output is wasted. So around 250 lumen per lamp, so if you need 3500 lumen then that's 14 lamps.

You need a lamp with a larger surface area than the 2000 mm² of the full MR16 lamp, with cooling fins the LED replacement for the MR 16 often is down to 600 mm².

But as to makes I used cheap Lidi without a problem.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure you want 35mm lamps
He does correct in the text to 35 watt, this is around 450 lumen so around 5 watt in LED, however since the LED replacements use some of the 16/8 of an inch diameter as cooling fins, the lit area is reduced, so need around 3 watt in LED and more of them. Wonder if could be arranged to emulate one of the star clusters say the great bear? Then not only will it look like a planetarium it will be a planetarium?

Well that opened a can of worms, at the moment I have 10 lamps @35w on a mr11 type fitting, a couple of the lamps went and as I am changing the rest of my mr16’s over to led gu10 fitments I thought to change the mr11’s over now that these have blown. Now these lights are maybe only switched on a few times a year as I have a couple of lights freestanding a standard and tabletop along with other lighting that is used in this room. So I just thought to ask on here if anyone had any recommendations for new lamps
Thanks

Why shouldn't he?

It's a standard, albeit uncommon, size.
Was just checking :)
I would quess on here, its unlikely anyone has even seen a Led 35mm GU10 let alone used them, i certainly havent.
35 watt Mr11 35mm as you know was quite a common lamp and seems thats what he currently does have.

Google suggests 35mm Gu10 Led do exist though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back