Recommendations for a new boiler

Sponsored Links
Fair enough :p - is yours a parallel or serial pass? One could argue a plate moves when it gets taken out for cleaning/replacing ;) :LOL:

Now... must do paperwork (y):whistle:

:D Interesting, not sure which, either or neither description would 100% accurate for either boiler layout. How's that for not knowing the answer? As only one circuit is in operation at any one time they can't operate in series or in parallel I guess.

Regarding cleaning/replacing, you're stretching a bit there Dan, the descaling machine motor must move when descaling the hot water tube although that's not part of the boiler, just necessary to get a scaled up boiler running.:mrgreen:

Technically you could do it with a funnel and hose pipe :p. I started doing them with a BnPoo garden weedkiller pump thing. Just use my powerflusher now.

Sponsored Links
So, you consider the Vokera Vision recommended by a guy who fits nothing else and he has no problems but because people you don't know have alleged problems with the boiler installed by installers you don't know you'll look elsewhere?

That Vokera platform has been out nearly 7 years now, the waterblock (the bottom part) nearly 10. After this time the company are happy to give it 5, 7 or 10 years warranty depending on the spec and current promotions. If it's going in a loft you can plug in the BeSMART which gives you complete remote control of the boiler for around £125, including remote alarm notifications and reset of the boiler. Just about the only thing at the moment you can't do remotely is monitor system pressure, you'd need a higher spec model for that and remote filling. It's available in 25 or 30KW versions. Although it's competitively priced do not buy a boiler only on price.

Fans of the Intergas often display a tendency to exaggerate; far fewer moving parts in the boiler actually computes to 1, the diverter valve. The valve is necessary for positive control of the domestic hot water temperature and reduces the chance of a slug of very hot water when opening a tap if the boiler has been supplying central heating at a high temperature which can happen with the Intergas. Of course that can be mitigated by running the boiler cool continually when supplying water for the central heating. If you are in a hard water area the 12mm domestic hot water pipe diameter requires good anti-scale protection device. Less is more is the company slogan which is a puzzle as to why it costs more than many boilers providing more for less.

The next Intergas model is 122% efficient I'm led to believe and they've made 2 million heat exchangers each with at least 20 joints in each yet have never had a single failure; pretty interesting claims.

Atag; stainless steel heat exchanger, very tough but with 2metres of thin rubber gasket at each header end.

If you have good pressure and flow rate from the cold main into the house then a higher output boiler would reduce the time filling a bath but pointless if your mains isn't up to supplying what the boiler can produce, outputs of up to 42KW are available.

There are no perfect boilers, just find an installer you feel comfortable with and who is recommended to you because of his reputation and go with what he suggests.

I work for Vokera BTW.

I think the latest revisions have got it up to 127% efficient on the tests but I don't feel threatened enough to continually post negative opinions on other manufacturers products :)

Technically you could do it with a funnel and hose pipe :p. I started doing them with a BnPoo garden weedkiller pump thing. Just use my powerflusher now.

Don't even need a funnel and hose with a plate heat exchanger, just drop it into the chemical which incidentally would clean both sides at the same time whereas the bithermic waterways would have to be cleaned separately should that be necessary.

This is fun(y)

I think the latest revisions have got it up to 127% efficient on the tests
If anyone thinks a boiler can be 127% ( or 122% )efficient they are deluding themselves and their customers.

but I don't feel threatened enough to continually post negative opinions on other manufacturers products :)
Opinions about claims to have designed a boiler that is 127% efficient can only be negative.

Last edited:
I think the latest revisions have got it up to 127% efficient on the tests but I don't feel threatened enough to continually post negative opinions on other manufacturers products :)

I think you're a bit harsh there Razor.

The guy asked for opinions, I gave them and told him who I worked for. As for continually, that's probably the fifth time I ever posted anything about ANY boiler in 7 years that could even with a push be described as critical. They were observations and I even included ways of mitigating possible problems if he went that route.

As for the claims, well, I think they're interesting and deserve closer examination. Sorry to rob the latest model of an additional 5% of it's 127% efficiency.

Last edited:
Just for the record and the original poster. There are no perfect boilers, all have shortcomings, some have weakness in concept or design most of which can be circumvented by an installer who knows the product and is sympathetic to it.

Like I said originally chose an installer who has a good reputation and is confident in what he fits, pay less attention to price but bear in mind sometimes you pay for reputation rather than performance.

As VC has stated above, there's pros & cons with every boiler.

The Pros will mostly give you an objective view on boilers, most boilers fitted & correctly commissioned will give you years of good service.

Your system water should be clean , Gas service correctly sized & your controls modern fuel saving to save you gas. So selecting the correct installer is more important than the appliance.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I appreciate you taking the time to respond, plenty in there for me to think about (just hope it hasn't been too controversial!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back