Risco Lightsys2 - Loudspeaker always at 12VDC, when alarmed it goes to ~13.8VDC

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, I inherited a Risco Ligthsys2 which was wired but disconnected.
I connected everything, configured the sensors and almost everything works as expected.
However, the Bell/LS connectors are always at ~12VDC when idle (disarmed). When I arm and generate an alarm, the voltage goes to ~13.8VDC. This is if I put the multimeter right on the board. If I connect only the negative to the existing wiring and measure again with the multimeter I get ~ 13.8V even on idle.

Is there a setting to put the idle at 0? Obviously at 12VDC the siren goes always on.
The DIPSW has an ON/OFF toggle for Bell/LS (internal driver or not) but this does not make any difference.
I checked the installer manual but there's no reference to any of this (unless I missed it, it's quite long) :)
Thanks in advance for any hints.

Sponsored Links
Can you clarify which terminals you are measuring and what bell box you have.

I am guessing the bell box isn’t working?

A loudspeaker works differently to a bell box sounder.

Hi,
There's no model number on the board but it appears to be 432B(M)(1).
At the installer manual, page 26 the main bus connection is described and matches exactly my board.
I have a normal loudspeaker, the standard one with the blue strobe - this one works correctly when connected (although it's always on because it will sound at 12VDC).

With the loudspeaker disconnected I'm measuring connectors 19 and 20 labelled BELL/LS + -. (the two after AUX, COM and before BELL TMP). These two are at 12VDC when idle and go up to 13.6-13.8VDC when the alarm is on.
Due to this I can't connect the loudspeaker as it would be always on.

The diagram shows the loudspeaker connected directly on these terminals so I'm thinking it's either a software configuration error or some jumper/switch incorrectly set?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure, it's one of these (standard?) ones - https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1NWLc...f-flash-siren-with-tamper-switch-built-in.jpg

But as I mentioned - I disconnected the loudspeaker from BELL/LS + - terminals and I'm measuring with a multimeter the connectors directly which behave at always 12VDC and 13.6-13.8 when alarmed. If I connect the loudspeaker to the terminals (even immediately after poweron) the siren starts blasting.

As you probably guest I'm not good with terminology - I thought (and the installer manual's picture suggest the same thing) a bell would be similar to a fire bell (https://www.securityhunt.com/images/bellalarm.jpg) - the one I have (similar to the previous picture I posted) makes a siren-like sound (similar to emergency services cars).

However, irrespective of what device I have - the problem (at least appears / I think) may be with the board because even after I disconnect the bell/ls - I still get continuous 12VDC on the terminals. and jumps to 13.6-13.8VDC when an active alarm is on.

Thanks.

Take some pictures as I am not following you properly, suggesting its not being explained very well or you may be confused.

Picture of the bell box/ bell box wiring and light sys wiring.

It is possible that the bell is a bus (Risco's own) rather than a normal hard wired bell.

I've attached a photo of the main board. Unfortunately I don't have access to the bell box so I can only guess the wiring towards there.
From what I understand, in the photo attached:
Wires 1-4 go to the keypad (this I can confirm)
5/6 and 6/7 appear to be the data for the PIRs
8-16 - Not connected
17 and 18 are positive/negative VDC
19 and 20 should be positive and negative for the bell (box)
21 is a (what appears to be a 2.2kOhm resistor that goes to the bellbox). If I remove it I trigger a tamper alert)
(not seen in thep hoto but)
23 is a short loop to 17
24 is a green wire that goes to the bell box.

If I leave 19 and 20 connected the outside siren goes on continuously, no matter what I do on the panel.
If I disconnect it I get a warning about the bell loop but the arming/disarming process works fine. And as I mentioned above, on those pins the voltage is about 12VDC when the alarm is disarmed and goes to 13.6-13.8 when it's an alarm.

The keypad is a 432KP.

Thanks for your patience :)

Attachments

• risco.jpg
    risco.jpg
    497.8 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
have to be honest I don't have one in the office to test.

but firstly, you should do a bell test to check if the bell is working?
If it doesn't work on the bell test you need to look at the wiring both ends assuming its wired as something is wired to the bell terminals?

This is actually the problem I have - if I connect the bell it starts ringing - it never stops (since the board sends always 12VDC). So the bell works - as in - it's always on - which is far from a desirable behaviour :)

Trying to find a manual for that bell, only thing I could find referred to a wireless unit or dummy looks cheap.

You need to get the manual for the bell or at the very least open the bell and take a picture.

Need to know how it’s wired if it’s wired? Although it sounds as it’s hard wired from the op.

Agreed could well of been disconnected for that reason,

From what I gather it was "sort of" installed but not connected/setup (it was at factory defaults) so I was hoping it's either an incorrect dipswitch (unlikely as there aren't that many) or a software config that tells it to be idle at 12V and to go up to 13.8 when alarmed (for a special type of bell?) but again couldn't find any reference in the installer manual so I was hoping someone saw this behaviour before.

My previous alarm (a bosch at a different house) was behaving as one would expect, 0VDC when idle and 12-13V (can't recall) when alarmed.

Think I found a connection for the hard wired version from an Australian site but can’t be certain looks very similar but had a blue lens.

Only 3 wires positive, tamper and bell trigger.

If you knew which wires were being used at the bell we may be able to move this on for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back