Sabre Boiler Producing High Carbon-Monoxide Readings

Yes, a very expensive solution that I am frustrated at :(

The Sabre/Vokera engineer said there was nothing wrong with the boiler just the CO levels had been set incorrectly. I don't know what that means. I also don't understand how any thing can be set wrong, when the boiler has been in place for nearly five years, serviced annually - the last service September 2015, and nothing wrong until this episode (11 and a half months after last service). This has cost me £384 and I'm not happy as I feel my own GSE should have resolved this.

I would have charged £300 less than that!

The boiler burns gas with air. The ratio of gas to air needs careful adjustment to ensure there is sufficient air to reduce CO production but not too much excess air!

Sponsored Links
I think he may have done so after reading his report.

But what I answer to your question is that some RGIs are not as good as others!

Last edited:
It is a little difficult to understand but my best interpretation is that he found the readings of CO were high and reset them and they are all OK now.

He also advised you get a new CO alarm.

They will often alarm in a kitchen when the users don't open a window or door for fresh air when using a gas cooker.

Tony

No, the Vokera engineer has clarified in writing there was no CO readings. He showed the tenant his meter and assured him there was absolutely no CO coming from the boiler. But it was my own GSE who said that it had high readings and shut down the boiler.

At the same time, if there was no leak, then why would the Vokera engineer make any adjustments.

So far, I haven't paid the bill. I was told that if it was a cheap repair, I could pay the bill, otherwise I could have it repaired under D&G contract at £32 per month. I am now in dispute with Vokera and my argument is, if there was no fault, then I should have been offered to pay their fee of £129, no fix fee, and therefore avoid having a monthly contract with D&G of £32 - ie, £384.

Sponsored Links
99.9% it's this one. It doesn't state it on the engineers report and I have literally just moved house so all my documentation hasn't been unpacked yet.

http://www.sabreboilers.co.uk/sabreheplus.html

There's a Sabre HE and a Sabre HE Plus almost identical except for tweaks that bought the B HE rated boiler into an A rated classification. They look the same but are not.

You are not understanding the problems Parky!

CO is produced in boiler flue gases. Part of the service adjustments include setting this correctly to the right ( low ) safe value.

The CO alarm measures the CO in the room atmosphere! Boilers are room sealed and correctly installed don't produce CO in the room. Gas cookers don't have flues and WILL produce CO in the room, usually at low levels PROVIDING the users have provided sufficient ventilation.

Some ethnic groups seem to never open windows when doing mass cooking at about 4.30 pm and regularly set off CO alarms because they want the temperature to reach 40 C in the room, perhaps to remind them what it was like back in Bangladesh.

I don't complain because I get paid by the housing association to go and check the gas appliances.

Checking those things on a service s a bit like putting water in the kettle before making a cuppa.

I see nothing wrong with the Vokera chap's report. @Parky-P you should be angry with your previous gas engineer.

I see nothing wrong with the Vokera chap's report. @Parky-P you should be angry with your previous gas engineer.

I had thought it was Parky's own engineer's report and replied on that assumption.

But perhaps it is the Vokera report. Last one I saw was ages ago and on a large sheet of paper.

Checking those things on a service s a bit like putting water in the kettle before making a cuppa.

Trust me, I am angry with my engineer. Why on earth did he shut the boiler down. I just don't understand how he can say he had high readings yet the Vokera engineer said absolutely nothing wrong with boiler.

However, I feel that I should not be made to pay out a huge bill when they have a no fix fee of £129. If there wasn't a fault, it wasn't fixed hence I only pay a fee of £129 as opposed to £384. Yes or no? Opinions welcome.

I am thinking of sending them a cheque £129 with a covering letter.

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Trust me, I am angry with my engineer. Why on earth did he shut the boiler down. I just don't understand how he can say he had high readings yet the Vokera engineer said absolutely nothing wrong with boiler.

However, I feel that I should not be made to pay out a huge bill when they have a no fix fee of £129. If there wasn't a fault, it wasn't fixed hence I only pay a fee of £129 as opposed to £384. Yes or no? Opinions welcome.

I am thinking of sending them a cheque £129 with a covering letter.

It's a poor choice of words by the engineer. If I'm reading his notes correctly, he's re set the combustion. Therefore a job of work, and if the boiler is now working safely then it is sorted. Fixed /adjusted /made safe it's all semantics.

Have you paid the other engineers?

OK, so the CO was in the room but it wasn't coming from the boiler - that makes sense.

Sorry I was talking about Agile, not you.

Perhaps I'm misreading what the actual cause of the alarm was and whether or not the boiler was ALSO out of calibration on its combustion?

Because none of these posts are being made clearly by the OP, its very difficult for anyone reading this to know who did what and who wrote what.

Parky, was that "report" by the Vokera engineer or your engineer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back