scotland independence

early or later

• early

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • later

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sooner the union is dashed to the rubbish bin of history the better..

Its such a shame cos us the scots the welsh and the irish once held sway on over a quarter of the population of the earth in the largest and most benign (more or less) empire the world has ever seen.

I think the english nation can stand alone i dont see how the scots can AND keep the life style they have become very accustom to (free unis and medicine) but am sure they have one eye on the cash cow thats europe.

Sponsored Links
Well, as someone who proudly voted for the SNP, I can certainly say that I would be happy to regain full autonomy. The model which is being proposed is effectively a return to the dynastic "union of the crowns" which began in 1603, where the parliaments are totally autonomous and the queen/king is still the monarch of both countries. (although I would prefer a republican model) There would still be shared services, but crucially, the Scots parliament would have powers of veto on where our lads are sent. We would have the power to set our own corporate rates and vary our income taxes. I and many of my mates seem to be in agreement that we would happily pay more tax(within reason!) to retain the very important services we have. A healthy, educated workforce is the way forward. And JohnD is right. The Scots didn't take pay for our benefits. The Scottish oil and Gas did.

Sponsored Links
Are you suggesting that the Shetlanders are not entitled to be independent and to keep their oil revenues for themselves?

Or do you mean that the revenue should go to whoever is monarch of Scotland to spend as they think best?

Sooner the union is dashed to the rubbish bin of history the better..

Its such a shame cos us the scots the welsh and the irish once held sway on over a quarter of the population of the earth in the largest and most benign (more or less) empire the world has ever seen.

I think the english nation can stand alone i dont see how the scots can AND keep the life style they have become very accustom to (free unis and medicine) but am sure they have one eye on the cash cow thats europe.

I remember a year or two ago, Alex Salmond kept going on and on about Ireland,, he, and the rest of the SNP referred to Ireland as the "Celtic Tiger" ggrrrrrrrrrrrr. Now,, he never mentions bankrupt Ireland at all. The Celtic Tiger has now become like Mrs Slocombe's Pussie, from Are You Being Served,,, miaowww. Take heed independent Alex,,, where are "you" going to get the money from???

Are you suggesting that the Shetlanders are not entitled to be independent and to keep their oil revenues for themselves?

Or do you mean that the revenue should go to whoever is monarch of Scotland to spend as they think best?
No. I am suggesting that Shetland is part of Scotland and that any mineral reserves found there are to be used for the benefit of the people who live in Scotland. As for your question about the monarch, I think you will find in my first post that I don't agree with monarchy, and as such they should receive no money which they did not directly earn. If the old jelly bean wants to man a drilling platform, I think we could find a way to paying her :eek:

I am suggesting that Shetland is part of the UK and that any mineral reserves found there are to be used for the benefit of the people who live in the UK.
moral equivalence.

So you are suggesting that the Shetlanders are not entitled to be independent and to keep their oil revenues for themselves. You have for some reason decided that it is OK for Shetland's oil to be taken by the Scots, but not by the UK. There is no morality or logic behind this argument.

Shetland was a gift to the Scottish crown from Norway
A gift to a monarch, not a gift to the people.

No. I am suggesting that Shetland is part of Scotland

Hmmmm, in the same way that Argentina suggest the Falkland Islands are part of their country?

Trouble is Boab, when Autonomy and Independence are mentioned, people on here understand that to mean the dictionary definition, not some skewed definition whereby Scotland keeps all taxes raised in Scotland, and still gets a nice big payout from Westminster's seemingly never ending coffers.
There's a hell of a difference between true independence and what Alex Salmond defines as independence.
You only have to look at Europe. Tell me are any of the countries in Europe truly independent? Ireland and Greece certainly aren't. Portugal and Spain seem to be heading that way as well.
I very much doubt that any country in the world is truly independent (in a financial sense)
Now if Scotland were to cut all financial ties with Westminster,, How long do you suppose it would be until Scotland was bankrupt? (with all that entails. ie massive unemployment, super inflation, cuts in all services)?

i vote NEVER to independance, i didnt vote but am still entitled to my opinion, i hate every politician they are all lying scum and i honestly dont think it matters who is in charge, however if a devo referendum is on the cards i will vote against it, you have to realise that only about 50% (if that) of people voted, the SNP got in because they got the most votes, but in effect only about say 25-30% of the population voted for them, of those not everyone wants independance as they voted for the SNP as a kick back against labour, independance and the eventual path to being a republic is a catholic thing and most protestants will never vote for losing the Royals as the Head of state (thats my view anyway).
I havent looked too deeply into it but i dont know if scotland would survive on its own, i say stick with Britain

Sponsored Links
Back