Seriously puzzled after investigating washing machine not draining. Pls Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
BEKO WMD261W. About 4 years old. Symptoms were not spinning properly and leaving water in drum.

I have discovered it wasn't draining at all. Does seem to be running a bit strangely but I presently put that down to it not draining. It doesn't seem to want to get up to a spin speed.

I've taken the pump out. It was hot. Connected it to 240V and it works fine (impeller seems fine and is spinning like a good 'un) Grey drain hose clear and black rubber hose (from drum to pump) clear. Pump filter clear.

I'm mystified. With the pump being hot it was presumably running so it is as if water wasn't leaving the drum. There was no untoward amount of crud anywhere. There is a grey plastic ball situated at the top of the black rubber hose which I presume is a standard item just below the drum? I presume it (in some way) stops water leaving the drum/drops down to let water flow away when pump runs. This is the only item I don't quite understand but I imagine it should be there!

Will water not start draining unless a spin speed is reached? I would have thought a washing machine still drains at other times (and as I say my pump was hot)

This seems bizarre, anyone got any ideas? Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There is a grey plastic ball situated at the top of the black rubber hose which I presume is a standard item just below the drum?
Unlikely, most washing machines have the outlet completely open, the only thing that stops the water flowing out is the fact that the drain hose outside of the machine goes up above the drum level.

If you fill the machine with water, then place the drain hose flat on the ground (may need to unclip it from the back of the machine), water should flow out freely.

I actually just googled this. The ball seems to be a common feature in modern machines. It seems it does pressure up to sit beside the drum, acting as a valve.

There does seem however to be a possibility it was stuck but I'm not sure on that. It seems you can just junk it though, so I suppose that might be worth a try

This is what I found about the ball
https://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/forumsphpbb3/ball-pipe-t72965.html

Last edited:
Just thinking the ball at the top of the sump can't have been stuck in any way as the water drained away from the drum through the pump filter when I unscrewed the front cap

Anyone got any ideas on this?

Sponsored Links
Certainly remain quite mystified about this. I put the parts back together again without the ball in place and the machine worked fine. Put the ball back in and machine still fine

Going to have to put it down to either a blockage in the hose or the pump maybe stopped by something caught or blocking. My problem with it is unfortunately not finding anything!! I'd have probably blamed the plastic ball at the top of the sump/below the drum maybe managing to stick, but when all the water emptied from the drum on removing the pump filter, it wasn't feasible the ball was stuck.

I changed the machine over for a new one, but at least I investigated it and it looks as though it's still ok so will do as a spare

Bizarre! Please keep us posted on this. (I am having a similar problem with my Hoover WM.)
Edit: Sorry, just seen you're no longer using the machine. Cannot see how to delete this post, alas.

Although I'd swapped the machine over I then investigated the above with the machine plumbed in in my garage.

I've now done 4/5 washes without issue. I hate not being able to explain the problem though. As said above, I'm going to have to put it down to something stopping it draining and my best guess would be the pump impellers somehow jamming but I wish I'd found the evidence!!

My suggestion is doing the same as me- dismantle everything in between the drum and grey outlet hose AND get to the drain pump to make sure it's impellers are moving freely. I put two female blade/spade type connectors onto it's connections and wired it on to a 13a plug so as I could plug it into the mains to be 100% sure it was working.

As someone above said, there's a limit as to what could be wrong except foreign material blockage somewhere or the pump being kaput.

Good idea to check the full path from drum to pump. The pump itself was clear. Actually inside the rubber 'gravity trap', post-drum, pre-pump, I found a small length (60mm x 2mm, not round in section; more a sliver) of slightly corroded metal. I have absolutely no idea where this came from but could it be significant? Part of something that's failed? Some photos attached. (180007 is the pump blades, seen in my makeup mirror.)

(The whole sad story is at https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/help-with-cleaning-repairing-my-washing-machine.490753/)

Attachments

• PA180004.JPG
    PA180004.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 158
  • PA170005.JPG
    PA170005.JPG
    430.6 KB · Views: 208
  • PA180007.JPG
    PA180007.JPG
    533.1 KB · Views: 187
I had a similar problem with my hotpoint machine. Looking at 18007 it was virtually identical to my pump assembly.

When I dismantled it and pulled off the impeller I found a bit of an elastic band jamming it. It looked ok until I had the impeller off though.

Just a thought

Graeme

I now know far more about washing machines than is good for someone in their late 60s! Thanks, Flameport (re drain hose goes above drum level); I had wondered about this and next time (hah!) I won't make such a mess.

Bilabong007, I feel I have gone as far as I can. I'm OK with hoses but am not confident I can dismantle and then reassemble the pump watertightly.

Can anyone comment on the sliver of metal? Where did it come from, what does its presence in the gravity trap mean? Is there anything in the drum (sensors, switches etc) that can have failed?

Last edited:
Just sticking me nose in again!
The piece of metal is obviously mild steel rather than the stainless steel that the washer is made from. You'd be surprised what can pass between the washer drums - paper clips / hair grips / bra wires et al. I really wouldn't worry about it!
Noo then - have you a friendly neighbour who can test for voltage between the two pump wires, when its meant to be working?
John :)

Burnerman, sadly I don't know anybody with electrical expertise or equipment (other than an actual electrician, £££). So at 1pm I decided to give the "free estimate" people a chance to look & diagnose but of the three I found, none can come before Mon pm and the most promising one not till Tues.

So that leaves me the weekend to wrestle with my pump demons. Until I know what's wrong I am reluctant to put more water in there that subsequently has to be removed. Thanks to Flameport I know how it got onto the floor and how to get it out without a mess but I have no suitable receptacle. The bottom of the drum is at about 8" off the ground and my bucket is 12" tall. From (the amount baled + the mess), I would guess the drum holds around 2 gallons. Over the weekend I will see if I can borrow a low-sided basin.

The mild steel fragment may be from some work/hiking trousers/jacket - though Magicmushroom666 seems to think it might be part of a decrepit heating element... I have no idea how the drum is constructed or where the element is - are they in the same space (cf a kettle) or not.

Wishing everyone a dry-floored weekend. :unsure:(y)

Machines have an inner and outer drum - the outer stays still whilst the inner obviously is able to turn. The heating element is in the bottom of the outer drum. Its amazing what can pass through the holes in the drum or maybe the door seal.....I've even found the odd coin in the pump - theoretically impossible!
Surely there's some canny neighbours in Edinburgh? In Geordieland I seem to have several thousand when folks need something :mrgreen:
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back